Gentleman builds guitar with uncle's skeleton

Originally published at: Gentleman builds guitar with uncle's skeleton | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I feel like would have been a golden opportunity to play a little Frankenstein, by Edgar Winter.

10 Likes
2 Likes

Is it possible to be too Metal?

Nah, that’s crazy-talk.

13 Likes

11 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

i am a bit jealous of this. i have wished to bequeath my skull upon my death to my best friend to become an heirloom of his family. i have consulted lawyers, scientific houses who handle human skeletons, and funeral directors to no avail. i have found no way to get this done legally within the laws of my home state or his. at one point i had set up a trust in a money market account to defray the potential expense of processing and shipping of my remains but i have found no way to actually effect the removal of my skull for processing and delivery.

i never considered dying out of the country as a solution.

10 Likes

There are 1000 Del Close’s skull stories. He supposedly wanted it donated to the Steppenwolf to be used for Hamlet.

4 Likes

6 Likes

seriously, i’ve been working on this for close on 35 years. if you ever thought that it would be easy to make a nonstandard disposition of one’s mortal remains i can assure you it is not.

6 Likes

4 Likes

The neck is right where it should be!

5 Likes

Not to be mean or anything, but have you considered his progeny may not want grandpa’s friend’s skull laying around their house?

(Even if they do, picture the conversations: “hey, where’d you get the skull?” “It was my great-grandpa’s friend Nabisco. He invented Oreos or something.”)

At some point virtually every ‘heirloom’ becomes the next generation’s ‘tchotchke’, and it becomes a burden instead of a reminder. A skull might last a little longer out of respect, but eventually some future custodian will be downsizing their living space and have to find a way to dispose of it.

(Not that I’m standing in my kitchen looking at my wife’s set of “commemorative” plates that were given to her by her grandmother, but if we ever move again I know one box I’m going to forget to label “fragile”.)

6 Likes

Seriously hip!

5 Likes

his progeny have already discussed who is going to get which of my paintings and other art objects i’ve given him over the decades and while your larger point is well-taken, i’m not concerned about the immediate couple of generations because they are all fascinated by heritage and and have an appreciation of the strange. sometime next century my skull my be lost in transport but likely not before then.

as for myself, i have the gloves and vest my paternal great-great-great-great-grandfather wore to his wedding, i also have a collection of letters my maternal great-great-great-grandmother received from her soon to be husband during their courtship as well as a number of other objects i am attached to along those lines. in my family such things have never been considered burdens to assume but rather as honors bestowed upon us. my friend’s family inhabits a similar space.

5 Likes

Very creative! Most people just go the “xylophone” route.

skeleton-dance

5 Likes

Calcium is classified as a minor metal, so this act of active remembrance is extremely metal.

4 Likes

While doing The Mash.

Spinal Tap want to get hold of this guy, too. But if he ever plays that thing in public he’s going to come in for some serious ribbing.

1 Like

Well, if this guys story is true, it seems you would just need to stipulate in your will that you be buried somewhere in Greece. Then if your friends actually want to have your skull, set them up so they can follow whatever path the guy in the story used to repatriate remains.

1 Like