Can you spot the hidden rattlesnake in this photo?

Originally published at: Can you spot the hidden rattlesnake in this photo? | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Yes.

Had I been there, would I have been bitten? Also yes.

8 Likes

But did you see the hawk?

12 Likes

I saw it! Always beware the spirals.

10 Likes

11 Likes

Aha, you fell for the snake’s cunning plan! That’s the decoy. The actual snake is disguised as the door.

12 Likes

Hooboy. A masterpiece of horror.

2 Likes

At least we know the dozens of gross cigarette butts failed to repel a rattlesnake.

7 Likes

The dark secret of those Japanese Zen gardens is that most of the patterns you see in the sand are actually venomous snakes primed to attack.

7 Likes
17 Likes

I’m reading that right now and loving it.

3 Likes

The butts are there because the snake was chain smoking while awaiting its next victim.

7 Likes

No, but I do see a gorilla walking amongst a group of kids passing basketballs.

14 Likes

i find it odd that there’s no wikipedia entry on being bitten by kids…

4 Likes

So you are saying that it is not actually a sidewinder, but rather an Arizona Flatsnake somehow perched vertically on either the tip of it’s tail or the tip of it’s snout?! Ridiculous. Also, It would have to be mature to be that big and everyone knows that they shed the so-called “handle” in adolescence.

2 Likes

That’s a teensy little guy, and well disguised. Quite a few years ago my Mom and I were walking through a neighborhood in downtown Charleston, around 9 or so in the summer. We were walking down the sidewalk, and we both stepped over what we thought was a hosepipe curled up on the path. Taking stock, and looking back a few steps afterward, we realized it was actually a decently sized cottonmouth. He/she didn’t seem particularly interested in us.

2 Likes

With any luck, it would tell you it was there before you had a chance to get bit. Rattlesnakes are considerate that way… usually.

5 Likes

> “Can you spot the hidden rattlesnake in this photo?”

Worst. Pickup line. Ever.

4 Likes

Honest question: what is needed to get sidewinders to attack?

I’ve been working next to some very venomous snakes, mostly Echis ocellatus, only spotting them after quite some time - in one case only because I was alerted to them - and they never moved.

All other venomous snakes just fled, and very quickly, on my approach. Especially with Naja nigricollis, I am mostly ok with that. I would not have minded taking a picture of most, but with that particular species, I’m kind of glad I did not even get the chance to try. But a sidewinder? I am under the impression you literally have to step on them to get them to bite you.

Weird, did we have this discussion before on the BBS? This feels like a déjà vu.

I might have to look and search, I think I even posted an Echis pic…

ETA: found it.

3 Likes

Orders from on high.

3 Likes