Can you spot the leopard in this photo?

ok. give me a break. This isnt an optical illusion. It’s just that the details that make it obvious (the outline and pattern) are lower resolution than the pixels in the preview. It’s like me showing you this image at this resolution and acting surprised you can’t find waldo. SX466

3 Likes

I have read a bit of Theodore Roosevelt’s writing and it’s funny that whenever the subject of protective coloration came up he got agitated and would go on about how these protective patterns more often than not (in his own personal experience as a hunter/explorer) made animals conspicuous. I’m not arguing that this guy from 130 years ago was more right than a modern scientist with a lot more data and observational techniques. I just thought it was interesting. Here’s a link to an article he wrote on the subject:

2 Likes

But he’s right there!

[Kidding. Big kitteh was not easy to spot among all the spots.]

@arzak: Caught that fake rock kitty first, and had a hard time letting go of it.

6 Likes

Does Phyllis Diller riding Robin Williams naked down 5th Ave. count?

Just click through. The full size picture makes you ABLE to see it, but it is well camouflaged.

3 Likes

These spot the animal photos are usually framed in such a way that it’s difficult to determine any sense of scale. That, along with lack of depth, compression artifacts, and other photographic distortions makes me wonder what the 99 photos we don’t see look like.

3 Likes

My first thought, though, is that this could be a
Prime example of observer bias (in the most literal sense) where he severely underestimates the number of leopards he didn’t see when their camouflage pattern and environment matched.

7 Likes

The really spooky thing is when you see an animal then blink or look away for half a second and it’s gone no matter how much you look. Makes you realize how many you never see in the first place.

2 Likes

I thought I found it. I clearly saw a cat face a little left-of-center about halfway down the embankment, but I couldn’t understand why I didn’t see the body. So I clicked on the answer and was awfully surprised. Even with the arrow, it took me a while to find it.

4 Likes

Hang on hang on I got this…

19 Likes

Another thing is that you can’t identify it in the way you’re made to: stereoscopic view will give it away as you walk along or move your head. You’ll definitely see it as soon as it will focus on you or even will prepare to attack. Your legs will run before you’ll know the reason, probably too late, nevertheless. Evolution has actually trained our visual recognition very well to spot the cat. It just doesn’t work in 2D on a still image.

2 Likes

I love that file name.

4 Likes

I think this câmera could do It…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.