Can you spot the real New York Times headline?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/19/can-you-spot-the-real-new-york-times-headline.html

10 Likes

Of course, Trump blends the negatives of Edwin Edwards and David Duke, so…

4 Likes

I won. But I’m not sure what I won.

10 Likes

Fairly certain it’s gotta be the most anti-Biden one. Yet “paint” as in “characterizes as” seems a bit unlikely for most of those. ah well, headlines… “‘We hate math’ say 4 in 10, a majority of Americans”

3 Likes

i’m pretty sure the prize is indignation

5 Likes

NYT headlines sure do seem to rely on the ‘paint by numbers’ approach to all that ‘coat things with a thin film of liquid that will dry hard’ activity. :wink:

2 Likes

Irrelevant. NYT lost it’s position as paper of record long ago. Every claim they make should be side-eyed no matter your personal position.

5 Likes

Gosh, I wonder which one it could be? Or I might wonder, if I didn’t read the NYTimes and constantly see headlines in the vein of “The Economy is Doing Great - Here’s Why that’s a Problem for Biden.” NYTimes Pitchbot literally can’t keep up with the absurdity (I’ve seen at least one parody headline from them that became more or less real, and plenty that were less ridiculous than the real things.)

3 Likes

And as I’ve said before here, one of the main reasons the NYT is doing this is Biden refuses to do an interview with them.

3 Likes

I somehow doubt anything would change their tune toward Biden if he granted an interview. Not only would the headlines still be slanted, I can’t believe any reporting that came out of the interview wouldn’t be slanted and misleading. What would be his motivation to give them an interview.

3 Likes

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/04/25/new-york-times-biden-white-house-00154219

describes a feud between the paper and the white house press team

1 Like

Everyone knows that Biden is a massive narcissist and arsehole who continually lies and threatens the press, so it’s hardly surprising the NYT would refuse to interview him.

3 Likes

The zebra one reminds me of this real headline from BBC that I have been having thrown in my face lately: Are animals conscious? Some scientists now think they are.

1 Like

Congratulations! Virtual hat? :smiley:

maga-cap

6 Likes

Where’s my puke hat?

3 Likes

Still being knitted.

puke-hat
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 Likes

FTFY

3 Likes

There’s that, too, but I literally see headlines along the line of “(good thing happens), here’s why it’s a problem for Biden.”

1 Like

In the NYT executive editor’s office, reviewing the heds.

“Well, ‘smears’ would be a bit too obvious, Mr. Kahn.”

“Hmmm… true. Copyboy … I say, copyboy … bring over the thesaurus, won’t you…”

Today’s tortured hed entry:

1 Like

I took the $20 online annual subscription just to get access to Games, Cooking, & Wirecutter (hey Thom!) - the editorial quality of this paper’s national/political desks just isn’t worth it any more