Can you tell the difference between antidepressants and Tolkien characters? Take the quiz!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/18/can-you-tell-the-difference-be-2.html

8 Likes

I either need to read more Tolkien or take more drugs…

19 Likes

22 out of 24! I did great!

Oh wait, now I understand what that says about me.

Now I’m sad.

14 Likes

18 out of 24! That was good fun! Those Numenorian kings sure have a very antidepressant air.

10 Likes

tumblr_lxskt49p0z1r2efvco1_500

I got 16 out of 24…

11 Likes

15 out of 24… that would make me sad, but I took my Cirdan today!

7 Likes

Screenshot_20200518-195101_Samsung Internet

30 Likes

Last time I had to go, I used the drive thru!

7 Likes

OK, whatever flows your boat!

16 of 24. Damn, that was tougher than I thought. But I do feel it was cheating to throw random accent marks onto antidepressants to make them look more Tolkein-ish!

18 Likes

If you’re like me and don’t do fun, here is the names with descriptions and code for the quiz:
https://antidepressantsortolkien.now.sh/scripts/app.js

1 Like

Couple dozen (or so) years ago i was hauled (kicking and screaming) into a marketing meeting of a small pharma company. My role was to be the science advice (think dilbert with less hair). The goal was to be setting a name for the latest wonder drug. I rattled off several of the pertinent IUPAC chemical structural names. “nah! no one can pronounce diphenyl… piperidineeel… see!?” so hours of checking a database of already trademarked names against snappy phonemes later, with lots of cursing, and finally a marketing guy with some music training says “look this stuff supposedly works fast, right? so ‘allegro’ but that’s taken, so…” (in the end, my presence was pointless, of course)

9 Likes

21 of of 24. a couple i was CERTAIN were one or the other, and was wrong, and the one drug with an accent mark threw me. (really? since when do they get accent marks??)

10 Likes

Great quiz, its been some time since i’ve read the books so i figured i would do poorly (13 out of 24). If they pulled names from Simarillion i knew i was going to be screwed because i have little interest in reading it… best i’ve been able to do is read through story summaries.

1 Like
  1. The lineage of Gondor totally defeated me.
2 Likes

This is hard… seen all the LOTR movies multiple times, got an 11/24.

16 right, I suspect that several of the Tolkien names came from the Silmarillion which I was never able to get more than about 1/4 of the way through.

You can do a great quiz with prescription drugs and Japanese movie monsters too. I compiled one to use as an icebreaker for presentations.

3 Likes

17 out of 24. I went past halfway with a perfect record and got cocky. I guess I forgot to take my Alatar this morning…

5 Likes

15/24 here, and the Simarillion was my Tolkien death as well.

Perhaps trying to get through it in third grade was the problem, and I would have been able to get through it if I had started on Tolkien later. I wonder how many of us “lost to Tolkien” simply started a bit too early…

3 Likes

“Bilbo. Seems too simple. What if it’s a double bluff? I can imagine some pharmaceutical nerds using it as a drug name…”

Dammit.

4 Likes