Canada issues travel warning about U.S. states with new anti-LGBTQ+ laws

I try not to use people as analogies for nations (see: personal vs. national debt) but damn it’s hard not to see this as one asshole turning a blind eye to their old college buddy being accused of domestic violence. “I know him, he’s a good guy…”

4 Likes

Source? I’m coming up empty on Google. Closest I could find was a news article where a random MP said something like that but it’s certainly not surprising to me that an MP might not be fully informed on how the refugee system works.

Australia has had this warning for a while:

" * There’s no federal law that explicitly protects LGBTI+ people from discrimination. Some US states and localities have laws that may affect LGBTI+ travellers."

…and, I’m told, it is taken very seriously.

Agreed.

I also wish they would recognize spouses for immigration when the spouse doesn’t meet the score required to come into the country due to “not providing high skills.” A company I used to work for has a canada branch, and I was going to move there for a job , but Canada Immigration refused to allow my wife to come because she didn’t have a college degree and worked “basic jobs.”

And I couldn’t sponsor her because spouses can’t sponsor each other in Canada.

ETA: It also didn’t help that this was pre-Obergfell and we were married in CT, but not in the state we lived. And so, I remember the Canadian Immigration office we were working through telling me “Even if she was qualified, we would not recognize your marriage, because your federal government doesn’t recognize your marriage, so even if we DID allow resident aliens to sponsor their spouses, you’re not legally married.”

Left me with a bitter taste in my mouth, especially since we were running from a scary situation.

1 Like

This kind of doubles as a warning to anti-LGBTQ+ assholes looking to visit Canada.

There’s a reason I live in an RV.

I was planning on spending the winter near the Florida/Georgia border, but I don’t want to give either of them any money. Instead I’m looking overseas.

1 Like

@VeronicaConnor Hope you dont mind me jumping in as I did some lunch time reading after your earlier post.

Theres quite a few articles out there that highlight the problem as the safe third country agreement adding an implication that the US is safe.

Heres one news article:

And a law firm also highlighting the safe third country agreement as being a barrier:
Can an American Citizen Make a Claim for Refugee Protection in Canada? - Doherty Fultz Immigration.

And here’s an article on the general problems which doesnt answer your question but was enlightening.
https://lgbtq.hkspublications.org/2021/06/11/the-united-states-is-not-safe-for-lgbt-refugees-a-call-to-abandon-the-canada-united-states-safe-third-country-agreement/

1 Like

Everyone knows America is the freest best country on earth. It’s fun to confuse them by asking which is the second freest.

Had to look that one up. All I could think of was multiple personality disorder.

Not sure I’m getting this. Is there a group with the religious belief that spirits must be gendered, so a non-binary person is the result of containing both a male and a female spirit? If so, why don’t they allow a belief in non-binary spirits?

The key part there is “an English term used to broadly capture concepts. ie: It’s a bad translation. A better understanding of the term might be “the essence of both”. Essentially they referred to “men who are more like women” and “women who are more like men” in way that was consistent with their overall language, culture, and spiritual beliefs. The point is that while they still generally thought in terms of two genders, they recognized various midpoints between them as valid.

ALSO, please note that “Native American” is not a people, but a broad term for hundreds of individual cultures that were just as diverse as those of Eurasia*. Some NA tribes described a two-spirit concept, some didn’t. Many of them had similar, but still distinct and differently named ideas about it. This is another reason English translations are suspect, because they simultaneously reference several very different cultures indiscriminately.

• although this is also problematic because of various unity movements among NA people, and the simple fact that very little remains of those distinct cultures.
1 Like

We’ve got plenty enough up here already, thank you.

4 Likes

I would love to assume that is the case, but I don’t think history shows us that even massive economic losses are sufficient to serve as a deterrent to bigotry. I think an obvious example is misogyny. It has been obvious for an astoundingly long time that treating women poorly is bad for business, but you still see the boards and C level staff of major industries stuffed with white dudes. Economics gets dragged along behind culture and law most of the time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.