Canada legalized pot. Beer consumption there dropped

Yeah, while legal pot here is still more expensive than the black market, it is vastly cheaper than alcohol. Also smoking a little and having a single beer is extremely good. Just perfect amount.

1 Like

Sitting 40 miles from Windsor, I’ve got nearly 10 breweries within a 10 mile radius. The catch is…I’m in Michigan.

I recently took a look at where craft breweries in Wisconsin are to be found (idle curiosity, really), and was pleased to find at least one in each of the tiny tourist towns both sides of my family consider ancestral summer stomping grounds. :grinning: (No, we’re not from Chicagoland.)

2 Likes

Weirdly, I tend to lose weight when smoking. Because I know that eating doesn’t actually do anything to make weed munchies go away (rather the opposite, usually), I tend not to eat at all while stoned.

Back in my long-ago youthful speedfreak days, a significant factor driving amphetamine use in the clubs was the fact that it was cheaper. For a novice user, $10 of speed would keep them dancing until dawn.

Trying to have an equivalently fun night out on alcohol was impossible; the drinks were $10 each, and even if you could afford to get drunk you wouldn’t have the stamina to dance and chat all night.

These days, a significant part of the reason why I smoke is because it helps to reduce my alcohol consumption; any time I quit completely, my booze consumption skyrockets.

Yes, sure, in an “ideal” world designed by health-obsessed wowsers we’d all be non-smoking puritan teetotallers who exercised religiously and never touched processed food. But that is not this world.

7 Likes

Her response was to your increase in cannabis consumption? Or the decrease in your beer consumption? Or maybe her response to her cannabis consumption? I am confused.

My experience: like many things (food, sex, music, comedy TV), cannabis just seems to make things better.

Same thing happened in those States which have legalized it. Especially cheap beer. That’s why the beer distributor and groups like InBev always give heavily to keep cannabis illegal.

1 Like

Well, 3 of the states that have legalized had exploding craft brewery scenes beforehand. There is likely more of a correlation than a causation at work here.

Probably a little of all three. She liked cannabis when it was illegal, but now that it’s legal (and that I like it) makes her not want to indulge. I too am confused. Maybe it’s the cannabis.

Your experience matches my experience in that cannabis makes many things better. Except for beer. For me, alcohol and cannabis don’t mix well.

1 Like

Reminded me of this WaPo graphics from a few years ago.

( Original graphic is much bigger: arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/5WP4HSGEVI4SZGFPA3ZQZBGPMU.png )
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/09/25/think-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/

4 Likes

I’ve been to Canada and they got me saying it after 2 days there…

Why not both?

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, cheers!

3 Likes

Wow, I used to describe myself as an occasional drinker. In the top 60 percent, maybe that should change. My head spins just thinking about 10 drinks per day.

3 Likes

If the graphic showed the right column in more gradations it would really blow your mind.

In my EMT days I routinely dealt with patients who drank a fifth a day (75 cl) of distilled spirits a day for a decade or more. (17+ servings a day)

Further right you find folks who are consuming a handle (1.75 l) in less than two days. I’ve heard tale of folks at a handle a day, but never actually talked to a patient that far gone.

The changes at a “fifth a day” or more are pretty dramatic. The drinker’s entire metabolism shifts to running on ethanol, they can remain alert at BAC’s (400+) that would put most folks into a coma and/or kill them.

Folks at the bottle-a-day and beyond,if they abruptly stop getting ETOH then they die pretty quickly from withdrawal. (DTs, seizures)

3 Likes

I’m not going to track down the references again, but it seems there is probable causation. Craft beers - which are a very small share of the market - don’t take a hit. Cheaper liquor and beer do. So do opioids, but that’s a separate matter. Same thing happens in States where craft beers are even less of a factor. It seems that people make choices about how they will get buzzed, and decide bud is a better choice than Bud.

2 Likes

Lit bud vs Bud Lite

5 Likes

If it was loaded with caffeine it would cover all my recreational drugs in a single bottle!

2 Likes

And somehow managed not to have a fatal accident, lose all their wits to Korsakoff’s, or bleed out through GI varices because of an obstructed portal vein. The resiliency of the human body is an astonishing thing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.