New study: Legalizing weed increases sales of junk food

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/14/new-study-legalizing-weed-increases-sales-of-junk-food.html

8 Likes

Another candidate for:

19 Likes

In other news, Frito-Lay, Nabisco Co, and others are mega food corporations have donated millions in several states to lobby the legalization of marijuana.

17 Likes

In other news: new study shows that water is WET! Scientists are now scrambling to understand what this new revelation means to the scientific world.

7 Likes

Everything in moderation.

8 Likes

The guy’s name is Chong? Whoa, that’s heavy, man! Oddly enough, I found that when I was smoking weed I actually lost my appetite and got very underweight. When I quit I put on fifty pounds. Never understood how that worked.

10 Likes

breakthrough in duh

A nicely turned phrase deserving its own meme. “Duh” was exactly my first thought upon reading the headline.

7 Likes

I long to see every headline about weed appended with
“,dude!”

9 Likes

Damn poor timing on this study when the country is on near lockdown related to Covid19. Maybe it’s not the pot driving sales as much as the boredom of sitting around the house with nothing else to do.

7 Likes

So, this could have absolutely no bearing on the fact that a great deal of food that is available in stores is heavily processed, pre-packaged and ready-to-eat…especially in “food deserts”? We’ve been eating a shit-ton of shit food long before legalization of recreational marijuana. Maybe marijuana isn’t the primary culprit here. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

dude, eat a banana or something.

6 Likes

shocked jaw drop GIF

never would i have foreseen this result

7 Likes

I am glad they did this. We need to test things like this, even if it seems obvious. Do people actually get the munchies, or do we just get to hear about the ones that confirm to the stereotype? What is the overall cost or legalising weed?

An equally ‘obvious’ thing they could do is to compare the net social costs of weed to alcohol. I would bet weed wins, but it is only a guess.

6 Likes

I solved my munchies problem by having fruit on hand and I eat it, instead of junk food.

7 Likes

I strongly reject the implications and conclusions of this resear…oh wow, GLAZED DOUGHNUTS!!

6 Likes

Ain’t that the truth?!?

I diligently work to keep potato chips, corn chips, and popcorn out of my house… mostly, I succeed.

4 Likes

Especially moderation.

4 Likes

Indeed!

5 Likes

can confirm, based on my own limited, admittedly unscientific studies.

2 Likes

When it’s air-popped and lightly seasoned, popcorn is an efficiently healthy snack. That’s because it is a whole grain, and high-fiber whole grains have been linked to a lower risk of heart disease, diabetes, some cancers and other health problems.

4 Likes