Why does weed give you the munchies? Now scientists know

Originally published at: Why does weed give you the munchies?

3 Likes

This was new info?

I thought help with increasing appetite was one of many reasons why medicinal cannabis was available to (some) Cancer patients prior to state legalization for recreational use…

12 Likes

There is venture capital money to be made for an novel oral ‘fat pill’, or even the hint of one (this i personally can attest to)

At the 100 mg dose, there was no significant difference in food intake from air exposure, and at the 400 mg dose, there was actually a significant decrease in food intake.

…now, can it be targeted so as to increase satiety response without being stoned outta one’s gourd? (gimme a couple mill and i’ll do the receptor modeling [winky])

7 Likes

We already knew about getting the munchies, we just didn’t know the how. Now we do.

7 Likes

Who’s “we?”

Never mind; I’m moving on.

3 Likes

It activates the hunger center of your brain, duh.

3 Likes

Given how much 15 mg turns me into a non-functional vegetable for about 6 hours, I am not surprised that 400mg makes a fucking mouse uninterested in food.

I weight some significant multiple of the weight of a mouse, and I’m not sure I’d be able to form a coherent enough thought to walk over to the kitchen and figure out how to open the fridge door if I consumed 400mg of THC.

In other news, people who are unconscious also have been observed to not eat.

6 Likes

Well… unless they took an Ambien.

4 Likes

Happened to me the first time I smoked modern cannabis after a ~30 year break (since '84, when I joined the military). I definitely had the opposite of munchies.

4 Likes

Clearly it’s knowledge that is simultaneously common, and knowledge that shouldn’t be attributed to something “we know”.

1 Like

:wink:

1 Like

Okay, so a bit more experience since the last time this came up (April, apparently.) I haven’t really noticed it affecting my appetite, but I can say things I already enjoy (e.g., Heath bars) are even better when I’m high. I use gummies, not smoke, and the article specifically says cannabis vapor, so perhaps that makes a difference?

One thing, though …

And that was the article from back when I had only had one edible. Now I actually have an opinion on this! :laughing:

I know that anecdotes aren’t evidence, but they do seem to affect me differently. I usually have indica and that definitely relaxes me into a good sleep. (It beats the hell out of Melatonin.) Satvia doesn’t fill me with energy or make me hyper, but even taken under similar circumstances, it doesn’t have the same sleepiness effect, even though, like indica, it does relax me and turns down some of the background noise in my mind and body.

:person_shrugging:

Obviously I just need to experiment more For Science! How do I get a grant for this?

5 Likes

I don’t get the munchies at all. I can’t be the only one.

1 Like

This research was funded by the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws and 7-Eleven, Inc.

2 Likes

Don’t discount the tolerance effect. I notice a strong correlation between tolerance and appetite; the higher my tolerance the lower my appetite.

1 Like

In my experience with marijuana (which can certainly be considered limited compared to some people I know), it varies immensely. I don’t smoke or vape any more but when I did, it was all over the place. Sometimes it did literally nothing, as though I’d inhaled air. Sometimes it made me feel intense pressure on my body and a feeling of lethargy. Sometimes it made me feel dreamy and light. Sometimes it made me ravenous and sometimes there was no appetite increase. Now that I do edibles, it’s still very different, at least between different brands and products. I don’t know your usage habits, but if you have a particular go-to strain you use, maybe it doesn’t have that effect on you but others might?

3 Likes

“…exposed to a 200 mg dose of cannabis vapor

From the study:

On test days, rats were exposed to cannabis plant matter (7.8% THC, 0.5% CBD, NIDA, Research Triangle, NC) vaporized over a 10-min period. Control rats were placed into an identical apparatus with an unfilled vaporizer and served as “air-treated” controls. We used a behaviorally relevant cannabis dose (800 mg) known to stimulate food intake18. A second cohort of free-feeding rats (n = 8/group) was habituated to BioDAQ metabolic chambers for 10 days prior to any experimental manipulation. After habituation, rats were exposed to 800 mg of cannabis and feeding patterns were measured in the BioDAQ metabolic chambers over a 4-h period.

“Exposed to…” is doing a lot of work in this sentence, as is “relevant cannabis dose”. I don’t think we really have a sense of how much was actually absorbed and how much was left in the air and the study is clear that it was 800mg of cannabis (not THC) at 7% (which is still 56mg of THC!).

Edited to clarify 800mg was plant (not THC) based on second reading.

4 Likes

I suspect the short-term memory loss associated with such high doses gets so bad that the mice kept forgetting to eat.

“Duuuuude, I could really dig a peanut butter and wasabi sandwich right about n… Ooooooooo, the bars on my cage are sooooooo shiney… wait, what was I doing?”

4 Likes

I’ve got the munchies right now!

victims
ETA: Note the double “the” above. That meme may have been made while under th’ influence of cannabis.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.