Canada upholds net neutrality, bans zero-rating

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/21/0-canada.html

8 Likes
7 Likes

Just wait, we’ll turn around and screw it up somehow. I had high hopes for this Turdeau fellow but the substance behind the rhetoric is somewhat rancid.

3 Likes

Well, the fuckery is mostly in the form of “price signaling”, which apparently is the scapegoat of choice that allows the telcos to basically collude to set rates in lockstep.

This is a great victory in principle, but in practice it won’t do much to help consumer’s bottom line.

Let’s keep up the fight!

6 Likes

How do I move to Canada? Is there a downside of moving to Canada?

5 Likes

We pay too much for booze.

6 Likes

From what I could tell it is difficult to qualify for residency unless you are willing to invest at least a million dollars - and even then the ‘buy your way in’ tags are sold out atm.

5 Likes

not surprised in the least.

Well crap…

5 Likes

The Liberal party playbook since, like, forever, is to promise lots of semi-progressive things during an election, then implement none of them once they get into power. I never will understand why people vote for them instead of the NDP, since promise breaking seems to be baked into their genes.

4 Likes

That is a blatant lie!

They implement the smallest, easiest, token things that they promised, generally most of which are “we’re going to undo what the Conservatives just did.”. They only refuse to implement any substantial campaign promises.

They don’t vote for the NDP because the NDP can’t win, because not enough people will vote for them.

6 Likes

Actually no. Unlike the US, Canada likes letting in immigrants and has a fairly efficient process for applying for immigrant status. If you have marketable skills, or are related to a Canadian by blood or marriage, then it’s fairly easy to get landed immigrant status. If you don’t have a job offer from a Canadian company, your marketable skills are evaluated on a point based system and it’s not that difficult to have the requisite number of points. Expect to spend a few grand on fees and lawyers and about a year waiting for your application to go through the process.

@cameronh1403: Here’s the Government of Canada website for immigration applications

ETA: you need 35 points to qualify as a self-employed immigrant (there are different sets of criteria for other categories like high demand professions or wealthy people). Being of prime working age gets you 10 points. Having a Bachelor’s degree gets you 20 points. Speaking, reading, and writing English fluently gets you 16 points. If you are also fluent in French, add another 8 points. If you’ve run a small business for two years in the past 5, add another 20 points. So, yeah, at least on paper, qualifying as a skilled worker is not all that difficult. I am not an immigration lawyer and you should hire one before embarking on this kind of thing (because the process is not anything like as byzantine as the US process, the legal fees shouldn’t be more than a couple grand).

3 Likes

From an outsider that was interested - all but the above was obvious - however nothing I read there made it seem that ‘it was not that difficult to have the requisite number of points’. Honestly that’s great news, so thank you.

Thank you fine dragon!

Still much better than the LAST wad of f*ck you had! And his deft handling of Trumpthulhu was beautiful, you have to admit.

4 Likes

Yeah. I am living abroad and I end up saying this a lot to people, because the only thing that makes it into foreign news are a few quips which makes Trudeau look great. Then I’m like, he’s ok, but he’s a classic Liberal…

I think strategic voting has a lot to do with them being in power so much.

2 Likes

The centrist tactic is very successful in Canada. Even if it leaves a bad taste in your mouth, it is hard to look at the alternatives and feel like that would be an improvement. Even the NDP who seem to think they are the new fiscal conservative party and seem to attract as many whack jobs as the conservatives.

3 Likes

(also @cameronh1403) See my ETA above for a link to the instructions for qualifying as a self employed skilled worker.

1 Like

Imagine North Dakota winters, only worse.

1 Like

North Dakota winters are far, far, far worse than the winters in my part of Canada.
(Sure, my part of Canada is now unlivably expensive, but “look, the place is “North” on the map, so the whole thing must be colder” is still an uninformed generalization.)

4 Likes

I see you updated it, thank you!