Canadians pass on fireworks, go for kindness to animals instead

No Labatt? What about Golsen Molden… Er, Molgen Goldsen? Uh… Old Vienna? (wait, OV is brewed by Molson now…?)

I’d rather see the military spend money on flying displays at airshows than bombing the crap out of people, any day.

7 Likes

This is the most Canadian thing I’ve ever heard. They’re even polite to the animals. I bet they even apologize to the animals they hunt.

as loud fireworks can be stressful to them

yeah, Im one of them. I hate newyearseve. hate it, I tell ya!

1 Like

Around here, there were fireworks in every park, and I did hear some poor dog whining.

Reality check, here. Banff is a tourist resort in the middle of an easily dried out forest. They aren’t protecting animals, they are protecting their revenue stream.

Forest fires play hell with the tourist economy.

5 Likes

sigh. Banff is a town of 7000 people inside a national park that is mostly wilderness. There were still fireworks all over the nation, mostly in large urban centres.

There are a number of good reasons not to have fireworks in the park from effect on wildlife to fire issues. The latter is what would concern me the most as the mountain pine beetle has left massive amounts of dead standing timber in the parks.

That said, whether it was a good decision or not, it is not something that effects very many people or warrants much of the sturm and drang raised around it. Fireworks or no, they still had a party and it was likely a good time.

2 Likes

Adaptation requires selective pressure. While I can see that with an airport where the change in environment is pervasive and year round I don’t see how it has any relevance to an event that happens once a year for 15 minutes or so. If any animals should be adapted to our fireworks it should be our pets but it’s well documented that fireworks are a big issue for them with documented cases of pets literally killing themselves trying to escape.

Now perhaps the disruption once a year is not that big a deal but the mandate in the Canadian mountain parks places the interests of wildlife ahead of human ones. If the choice is between a less loud entertainment to decrease the amount of disruption to wildlife then that is the choice they should make.

2 Likes

I wasn’t allowed to watch war movies as a kid. Dad was a bit fragile about them. Westerns apparently weren’t a problem, but Dad lost his favorite brother to WWII. Was in it himself, tho he never talked about it. Except for once and I was forever grateful that he never talked about it again. His version of a knee slapper was my version of I’d like to vomit now, but I’m 16 and driving.

1 Like

Humph. Here in Austin, we love us some fireworks and we aren’t known for being on the conservative end of the spectrum. Hell, the glorious show from Auditorium Shore is accompanied with canon’s from Camp Mabry.at the end of The 1812 Overture. It is precisely how the thing was to be perforned. Still, I do love the idea of spending money on better things. On the other hand, unless it is to dry to do so, go for it. Jeeze, fireworks are a really fun way to waste money. Any boy will tell you that.

ETA

Well, sort of. When I was in Tulsa as a kid, we’d get sonic booms once in a while. Absolutely clear day… No warning. Just BOOM!!! Cold war and all, it was unnerving.

2 Likes

Well that’s technically BOOMY stuff, which is different. Yeah, I’ve heard those too which will rattle windows and dishes. Impressive stuff. I used to live by McConnell AF Base and it wouldn’t happen every year, but on occasion it would.

I also used to go to school by Ft Riley which had an artillery range.

Between SeaTac and the Boeing factory, there are so many low-altitude jumbo-jet flights over the middle of the city all the time I’m surprised anybody even notices the Blue Angels once in a while

2 Likes

Yes, but it’s always both, never either/or.

1 Like

Trust me, it’s a whole different level of obnoxious.

from the article:

Making quiet fireworks is a fairly straightforward feat of engineering. Fireworks consist of two stages: the propellant charge, which shoots it into the air, and the main body, which contains an explosive charge and the material that makes the pretty patterns. You can control how loud the firework is by changing the chemical composition of the explosive charge and how tightly you wrap it, just as you can control the colours and patterns.

It’s unwise to make unwarranted assumptions in engineering. Right, now, the only assumptions we can make are that the pyrotechnics are quieter, and don’t expand against the sky as much as a conventional pyrotechnic.

I think people use it to mean “lots” or “90%” but it’s traditionally a 1-in-10. I have no problem with words, it’s the people that use them confusingly. But feel free to add decimate to the list:

• nonplussed
  • bemused
  • travesty
  • literally
  • penultimate
  • enormity
  • ironic
  • Irregardless
  • peruse
  • biweekly, biannual, semiannual
  • precocious
  • moot
  • inflammable
  • proscribe

The cynic in me would also like to add:

• honestly
  • candor
  • truthfulness

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.