Pandemic-frazzled dog goes on anti-fireworks rant

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/02/pandemic-frazzled-dog-goes-on.html

4 Likes

Or as my father explains his dog’s firework fear, “There’s a giant dragon, right now, roaring on our front doorstep! How are you not alarmed about any of this?!?!? He’s clearly intent on getting in!”

11 Likes

That dog sounds suspiciously like Rick Moranis. Has he been seeing Gozer again?

5 Likes

I am impatiently awaiting the time when laser shows are way cooler and much cheaper than this gunpowder nightmare, and this stupid madness will be seen the same way we see our ancestors who banged pots and pans to scare away evil spirits.

6 Likes

Plus, the whole celebration of human slaughter thing. Maybe if those red phosphorous sparkles were carrying scraps of human flesh with them, we’d rethink the whole thing.

6 Likes

In a country divided isn’t it good that once a year we can come together as a nation and collectively hate on dogs?

7 Likes

Growing up I had no idea this bothered dogs. All my dogs growing up were bird dogs and trained so they weren’t “gun shy”.

1 Like

Ancestors? We do this at least once a year on Feb 3: “setsubun no hi”

2 Likes

Drone swarms too… someday.

1 Like

My cat is not a fan of the excessive ‘sky fire’ going on here (NYC) either.

4 Likes

Best not to focus on the lyrics to national anthems, either. I never looked at France the same way after learning La Marseillaise. Sheesh, Bastille Day is just around the corner, too. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Not so much “someday”…

Probably cheaper already over the long run, given that they’re reusable.

The problem is, the people setting off fireworks want transgressive explosions, not pretty shows. (Locally, I’ve got “gentlemen” setting off large rockets during the day, when all those clouds of sparkles are practically invisible.)

3 Likes

That will be cool but no replacement for fireworks. There’s something primal about pyrotechnics that lasers will not be able to replace. Just like you can sit and stare into a fire for hours but not into a fireplace recording playing on your TV.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Are you the keymaster?

1 Like

It’s all reversed here in Taiwan. My dogs don’t give a damn about the constant random fireworks. It’s year-round and they don’t even look up when a ton of firecrackers go off. Me? Drives me utterly insane, I go into bloodlust-fuelled whirlwinds of rage and my gf has to hold me back from mass slaughter.

6 Likes

I sure as hell wish I was!

1 Like

Sorry, I hate to tell you, but at that time gunpowder fireworks will be “retro”, “old school”, nostalgic, and hip. Kids will feel cool for “discovering” this neat old-fashioned thing to do. GenZers will delight in introducing their grandkids to the kind of fun they used to have back in the day of 2020. :wink:

2 Likes

There are definitely a fuck ton of fireworks going off here in DC right now. Hopefully it dies down once the inventory/ availability of them does off.

2 Likes

It sounded like somebody was setting off mortars in my neighborhood-- maybe even on my block. I’ve been petting and trying to soothe my dog for an hour, and she’s still restless.

I love fireworks, but I hate knowing my dog is in fear and pain. And there’s probably several more nights of this to come. I’m going to call the vet tomorrow, to see if there’s anything more I can do for her.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.