Capybara invasion caught on camera

It’s okay. It’s okay. They just bought the company and are there to tour the facility.

4 Likes

That’s because you guys already ate most of them, almost wiping them out in Venezuela. They used to be everywhere wet, but now they only survive way out in the country. Now the meat costs more than beef there. They are more common in Brazil, where people also eat them, but haven’t wiped them out yet.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Given the state of affairs here in America, I’d gladly take a President Capy! I mean, look how thoughtful and majestic!

capybara-chew

11 Likes

I for one hail our new President Capybara…

9 Likes

You might want to revisit the meaning of a generalization. Because stating that capybaras have been eaten almost to extinction in Venezuela is not a generalization but a fact.

Now the problem has even extended to Colombia, where capybaras are being hunted for export to Venezuela.

1 Like

“Rats”
Very many years ago, the Bolivians were starving so
they had rats as big as ponies there
They asked the Pope
To declare them fish

We thank the Pope for granting us this wish.
When Friday comes, we’ll all call rats fish.
We catch them with a net, kill with the gun.
We’ll call it all forgotten when we’re done.

They didn’t look like rats at all,
but like some horrendous horse doll.
Still they had to eat this thing.
In gratitude, the Pope-they kissed his ring.

We thank the Pope for granting us this wish.
When Friday comes, we’ll all call rats fish.
We catch them with a net, kill with the gun.
We’ll call it all forgotten when we’re done.

4 Likes

What you’re saying is that Capybaras are being eaten by all Venezuelans, period. Well guess what, i grew up there, i have family there. I have never ever seen it being sold anywhere, advertised, or spoken of beyond farmers that live in proximity to the Amazon. If they are being eaten to extinction it is not the whole country doing it as you are wrongfully generalizing. While we’re at it i guess we can assume all Africans kill Elephants, all Chinese folk eat Pandas, and all Japanese folk eat whale.

Yeah, i’ll double down on your dumbass statement about generalizations.

1 Like

Just for the record, I didn’t think @temp was saying Capybaras were currently a popular food in Venezuela, or that modern Venezuelans are responsible for the endangered status of Capybara in Venezuela, I took his statement as a colloquial English way of saying that it had happened in that country.

But I can understand being sensitive about how Venezuelans are referenced in media given recent history!

1 Like

What I’m saying anybody can scroll up and see.

What you’re saying is that you have some kind of chip on your shoulder that would cause you to lie and swear at strangers. Does your country of origin make you anxious? I’m not judging. You’re obviously more of a city boy than I am.

Venezuelans hunted the capybaras almost to extinction in the same way Americans hunted the bison almost to extinction. I can admit that easily and without vulgarity, despite having eaten both.

I love Rasputina, so much. I love their little history songs.

2 Likes

I have just discovered them and I’m really enjoying their music! Apparently I could have driven down to Baltimore and seen them in early August but I was clueless. :frowning:

1 Like

I saw them years ago with the Cranes at a smallish club, with about 20 other people! They were amazing!

1 Like

2 Likes

I heard that it was Roman Catholics, perhaps just Canadian or French versions of RC, that made that determination about the beaver. I guess that doesn’t rule out a similar ruling in South America though.

Or maybe some guys just wanted to eat some…

I’ll show myself out.

1 Like

I’m not Venezualan, but I did spend many weeks over a year long project in Puerto Ordaz. My host took me to small villages, usually for pesco frita (approximate spelling… fried fish, which most of the villagers caught as a living). So good! The village was very rural, very simple; no roads per se, just dirt. Electricity yes, but no plumbing or water infrastucture.

One time he took me to an even smaller village to have capybara. I was served what I was told was capybara. It was simply grilled and presented with an olive-oil & herbs sauce, similar to chimichurri. Similar to pork, with a bit of gaminess. Not bad at all. Would eat again, but not seeking it out.

3 Likes

man, season 3 of stranger things is weird

1 Like

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.