Capybaras take over upscale neighborhood in Argentina

Listen. I wasn’t alive during the WWII, but I know that the whole “peron nazi sympathizer” trope is the Right’s biggest gottcha. It’s akin to “The democrats were in favor of slavery and the republicans the party of Lincoln.”
Argentina and all of Latin America is racist and anti-Semitic as all get-go. Just like Europe and Anglo- America.
Not sending poor Brown boys from Cholera-infested haciendas or urban sweatshops to die and kill in Europe when the Allies demanded he do so was a whole thing that exacerbated the tensions around natural resources extraction.
Not sending poor Brown boys to shore up Russia’s troops previous to that was a whole other thing more worthy of criticism imo. Refusing to take sides in the squabbles of empires continues to be a whole thing.

Surely allowing some Nazis to flee here was a mistake, and since they and their descendants populate the anti-peronist conservative parties, not very strategic either. However, to go from there to depicting a socially liberal economically leftist people’s party as nazi sympathizing or pro-fascist is missing the mark.

8 Likes

To be honest, I was only commenting about Juan Peron singularly. I am ignorant of and make no comment about modern Argentine political parties and stances.

2 Likes

The capybara revolution has begun! Viva la Capybara!!!

capybara GIF by Puppy Bowl

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

10 Likes

“attacks on pets”

I’m surprised by this, given the capybara’s reputation for being very mellow. Maybe the “pets” started it. (They specifically say it’s dogs getting bitten - so I do suspect it’s more accurate to say they’re being bitten back.)

5 Likes

The Soviets had their own nazis to do it. I’ve heard it claimed that nazis on both sides had a big role in starting the cold war as they needed to be useful to avoid prosecution. Overstate how much you know and how dangerous the other side is and you’ve got it covered.

1 Like

But what are you supposed to do to protect your family if 30-50 of them smash through your fence while your kids play?

6 Likes

Tiny saddles.

12 Likes

Have a contest to see who can cuddle the most of them?

7 Likes

For anyone puzzled by those oddly specific metric measurements, that’s about 4 feet and 150 pounds.

2 Likes

Ignorant foreigner here… since when does English use apostrophe’s to denote a plural?

2 Likes

An apostrophe is used to denote possession, except in cases where it’s not.

5 Likes

I’ve heard the meat is similar to rabbit :man_shrugging:

1 Like
6 Likes

Peronism is a phenomenon hard to understand outside Argentina. It’s wide enough to have their own “left” and their own “neoliberal” wing, like the Carlos S. Menem administration. I mean no judgement with this, only observing. It’s complicated.

But the “flirting” of Perón with nazis and fascists is well documented.

5 Likes

Exactly. Dinner served up on the lawn.

Yes and no. The East German used former Nazis to make up the ranks of their own secret police. But the work of gathering intelligence and planting moles in western agencies was done by communists.

Markus Wolf, the spymaster who inspired John Le Carre’s recurring antagonist “Karla” spent WWII in the USSR and returned to East Germany after the war.

2 Likes

Capybara cabana is a real treat especially when paired with capybara cheese, a rarity as they are a pain to milk with the nipples so close to the ground.

2 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.