Car accident: video game physics IRL

Yikes! Now we’re gonna have a “proper use of the left/passing/fast lane” fight…

GulliverFoyle’s method is correct.

1 Like

Nah, @Jim_Campbell is a good-faith regular; an exchange, not a fight. He’s just coming from a different background.

Merci. As I said above though, a lot of driving is common sense. Also paying attention to the road and driving defensively instead of offensively. Unfortunately a lot of drivers who are probably cordial folks off the roads become combative on them, and endeavor to block others from merging, slowing the whole parade.

2 Likes

I read through the comments and he said that he was in the right lane because he was coming up on his exit in a reply to some guy who was calling him an idiot for lane-splitting. fwiw.

2 Likes

I’ve always assumed it is taught, but just because something is taught doesn’t mean it doesn’t get thrown out the window as soon as people hit the road.

I’m perfectly fine with lane splitting as long as it’s safe and courteous. Just yesterday a motorcyclist blew between me the next car when traffic was flowing at 75mph. SMH. That gets a very big fuck you pal from me.

3 Likes

and driving with consideration for your fellow drivers. Which I think you’re also saying, but I wanted to highlight it.

I mean, WearTF does the aggression come from? Aren’t we all just trying to move from A to B without suffering any damage?

3 Likes

My pet theory is that the stress of spending time commuting has a corrosive effect on many folks’ empathy, and that’s amplified by the isolation of seeing mostly heavy metal boxes instead of human faces. Also, frankly, pride and testosterone.

More often than four wheels, I ride two wheels (bicycle and motorcycle). Lane splitting can be done safely or it can be done recklessly. It’s all about judgement, and bikers are human being like the rest of motorists.

6 Likes

Kinko’s retirement party?

In California, there is no prohibition to driving in the left lane of any road/highway (other than restricted lanes), even when there are only two lines in each direction. The only rule is that slower traffic must keep to the right. In fact, according to Google, there are only eight states that prohibit continued driving in the left lane: Illinois , Kansas , Kentucky , Louisiana , Maine , Massachusetts , New Jersey , and West Virginia

4 Likes

It is legal in some jurisdictions, but not in others.

Yes, and more often than not, you will piss off the locals by passing their slow-moving, left-lane, law-breaking traffic by taking the right-hand lane.

1 Like

Ha. No not trying to start a fight. Obviously better to stay in the middle lane if that’s an option. I was thinking more about keeping slow traffic out of the passing lane when possible. (And I was thinking about 2 lane roads, not 3 or more). I realize all of this becomes pointless when there’s so much traffic that al lanes are packed.

2 Likes

There are only 2 rules for driving:
#1. Assume everyone is trying to kill you.
#2. Get to your destination without causing or taking damage.

8 Likes

Just stay out of the texting lane. That’s a thing, right?

So Mueller’s Law? (to coin a phrase)

3 Likes

I like these 2 rules for driving:

1. Don’t occupy the same space as other vehicles or objects.
  2. Don’t scare anyone.
2 Likes

Christ, at first I thought those were real people, and then I realized they were crash test dummies…

1 Like

It remains disturbing though. Ah, practical effects…

1 Like

You can add Michigan to this list. Left lane on the highway is for passing, not camping. [Looks sideways at Ohio drivers.]

2 Likes

It’s silly for car etc drivers to get annoyed at motorbikes travelling more quickly than them. That’s just envy. The bike is here and gone, like smoke. No impact on the speed of progress of the car. That said, pro advice to bikes is only filter (split) at 5-10 mph more than the traffic, to maintain reaction time.

The car crasher here was inattentive for some reason.

3 Likes

Lane splitting caused this accident. I don’t think cars should pass within the same lane as this gentlemen tried.

1 Like