Car attempts U-turn on impossibly narrow steep road

Originally published at: Car attempts U-turn on impossibly narrow steep road | Boing Boing

6 Likes

What would I have done? Just reverse back down to the wider road!

Why all the gymnastics?

22 Likes

So much this

2 Likes

I sort of assumed he didn’t really check to see how much of his car was hanging off the edge of the road, or he wouldn’t be nonchalantly doing a K turn into the void. Backing down the hill would be much much better than taking the real quick route back to the main road.
ETA:
Also, when he’s spinning his wheels, the front of his car kept getting lighter, which, in this situation, was bad.

6 Likes

Attempts? He fucking nailed it!

8 Likes

Ooph, there goes the underseal.

9 Likes

Reminds me of my trying to get out of bed. I usually go back to sleep. Problem solved.

5 Likes

I’m simultaneously incredibly impressed by that Honda and worried about the horrible sounds his steering array is making every time he turns the wheel. Sounds like an old farm truck.

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s specifically for the views.
There’s a YouTube account that repeatedly does this exact same thing with different cars:

25 Likes

There’s two things that made that possible:

1. Front wheel drive. Had it been rear wheel drive, as soon as one rear wheel was in open space, he’s done. Open differentials transfer all torque to whichever wheel has the least traction, so you can no longer move. If he had mechanical locking differentials, such as a serious 4x4 would, you could still pull it off. A limited slip differential such as in a sports car might make it, but you’d burn up the clutch packs in the process.

2. Luck. He was almost fucked at the halfway point when the driver’s front wheel unloaded 90% of the way as a result of dropping the passenger side rear tire all the way off. Just like the above scenario, if one wheel on the drive end is completely unloaded, you’re done. He barely got past that fatal weight transfer moment by squealing 10,000km off the life of his tires.

Also his transmission is now toast, but he’ll find that out in 5000km.

14 Likes

Why do I suspect a rental car company will be finding out :thinking:

11 Likes

Behold the open differential in all its useless wheel spin glory.

I call bet / dare / brag. There’s no reason to be in that situation seeing how easy it would be to back up out of the road.

3 Likes

And I think there’s a lineup of other fools who want to try the same thing… or at least watch

1 Like

Whew, a Honda Crosstour. He was one errant pedal press away from drastically improving its looks.

2 Likes

Am I seeing things, or were most (maybe all?) of these filmed at the same location? Though the foliage changes–different seasons, perhaps?–the shape of the wall looks the same and there’s a horizontal crack visible near the rear wheel in the first video which reappears in a couple of the others. To me this suggests they drove the cars there, maneuvered so the back end stuck out, then maneuvered back onto the road. As Siloxane says, for the views.

8 Likes

Came to say the same thing, i have see that road to many times…

2 Likes

Drive it like you stole it :+1:

2 Likes

A strangled scream, rending metal, shattering plastic, followed by a fire.

3 Likes

They just needed a smaller car. Then it would be easy to turn around…
A car like this…

5 Likes