Car crash video: tailgaters suck, but so do brake-checkers

It’s a common insurance fraud game. My GF got hit by it. You find a stretch of road far away from any towns, then try to box the victim in with semis on one or two sides. The fact of the matter is that even at a “safe” distance, if someone slams to a complete stop, no-one will be able to stop before having a minor fender bender. You make sure your vehicle is heavy, and wear a neck brace, then sue for insurance. Fortunately for her, the sheriff’s deputy who responded had be defrauded by the same guy previously, and helped minimize the insurance damage.

5 Likes

There is no valid reason for tail gating. If someone driving slow - blink 'em with your high-beams, or just pass them. Tail gating is dangerous, expressing your dissaproval of someone else’s driving is no excuse.

26 Likes

That makes little to no sense. If the person in from of you stopped from roughly the same speed you were both at then you should also be able to stop in roughly the same distance. Unless you are driving something like an F250 or significantly heavy vehicle. But realistically a lot of people buy tires that have shitty stopping ability and the cheapest brakes they can get put on at the tire and lube shop. I mean if a McLaren SLR swoops in front of me I’m pretty much screwed, but any given run of the mill Honda and I’d have no problem stopping.

5 Likes

reaction time varies.

dashcams are incredibly useful in these situations.

6 Likes

You must live in a fantasy state where there are no tailgaters who come right up behind you when you are currently passing a line of ten cars, already well above the speed limit, but the car behind you thinks you aren’t passing fast enough.

50 Likes

I get kinda freaked out when I’m tailgated because I drive a car with electronic brake assist. It stops in a third the distance of the 1990’s shitboxes still floating around (ie - the car most likely to tailgate me, I don’t know why, but this is how it works). Fortunately, it almost never happens on the freeway, always around town when I’m already driving at the posted speed. I’m not taking a speeding ticket for anyone else. Period. So get off my ass or you can go slower.

16 Likes

Yep, the driver behind is responsible for keeping a safe distance. The 3 second rule, when I took drivers ed. I bet some states might have a “brake check” law, but who knows. With out dash cams like in Russia, its pretty hard to prove.

That was a horrible over correction. If you are going to drive like a race car driver, get some practice first.

Though, like asking if it is ok to feed an animal abuser to pigs, it probably isn’t a good thing to brake check someone, no matter how big of an asshole the other person is.

6 Likes

psst…you can get a reasonable dash cam for $15.

1 Like

Not my state. If the left lane is intended for passing only there will be signs which state “Left Lane For Passing Only.” Under normal circumstances, the left lane is considered a fast lane.

6 Likes

I am sure more and more people will start to do so. They are so popular in Russia because of the rampant fraud and insurance scams. I read somewhere about 5% of their GNP comes from youtube views.

1 Like

It looks like they got close when the person in front didn’t move over after passing, which would have been a bad/dumb move because merging. Now if the person in front failed to move over after the merging area then at least it would have been understandable, (even if still inappropriate). So yeah, fuck 'em…

2 Likes

Except the tailgate-ee was passing, responsibly, even, as they waited until the right lane was actually clear (no mergers) before moving back.

9 Likes

This is almost the entire reason why russian dashcams are so common there. They have a large number of people that try to get hit so they can defraud the insurance, so everyone keeps dashcams to cover their ass in case someone tries to cause an “accident”. Honestly people in the US should use them more often as well.

3 Likes

No kidding, then the rest of us can drive like fucktards so much easier! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I kinda disagree. They looked stupidly close even when passing further back, earlier in the vid. So i agree with your sentiment of fuck em but they’d been tailgating for a lot longer than just those two seconds it took for the brake check :wink:

3 Likes

Brake checking can sometimes have consequences.

This is the number one cause of accidents. I tell my people they can buy the crappiest car they want, but they have to put the best possible tires on it.

2 Likes

Hah, why did they even upload that? “Surely this’ll exonerate me!”

3 Likes

Actually, yeah, it should, the motorcyclist was being an idiot.

2 Likes

Tailgaters tailgate even when there’s a completely open overtaking lane to their right.

They just want to go as fast as they can without ever having to change lanes. I have no sympathy at all for this idiot.

EDIT: not sure why I wrote right when I meant left, and anyway, I just meant a further overtaking lane, so removed for internationalism

11 Likes