Car crash video: tailgaters suck, but so do brake-checkers

Tailgating is dumb, you shouldn’t do it, period. I’m not pro-tailgating. That being said I often see tailgaters doing that because they’re trying to make the person in front of them “go faster”. I’ve also seen people who hang out in the left lane being a speed nanny, sitting there just to force people to do the speed limit (or less). Hanging out in the passing lane is dangerous. Expressing your disapproval of someone’s driving is no excuse.

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s still illegal to run over people. And no, don’t try to pull a “well they didn’t get run over.”

2 Likes

No argument there, and I won’t counter with the obvious, but I believe this would qualify as a swoop’n’stoop in most states which actually would exonerate the car driver.

2 Likes

Even funnier(?) when they eventually pass on the right, then move back to the left, and after the slowpoke moves over and another faster car comes up behind them, they don’t move over!

(I pass them on the right and stay on the right, leading by example and all that.)

2 Likes

When I said right I obviously meant left.

(or whichever, depends which country you’re driving in, anyway).

1 Like

Oh, well, that changes it completely, tailgating is perfectly fine then.

(I kid! I kid!)

:stuck_out_tongue:

There is no “fast lane”. You’re misreading your link. Texas law clearly states that you stay right unless you’re passing, turning left, etc. regardless of signage.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm
545.051. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY. (a) An operator on a roadway of sufficient width shall drive on the right half of the roadway, unless:
(1) the operator is passing another vehicle;
(2) an obstruction necessitates moving the vehicle left of the center of the roadway and the operator yields the right-of-way to a vehicle that:
(A) is moving in the proper direction on the unobstructed portion of the roadway; and
(B) is an immediate hazard;
(3) the operator is on a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic; or
(4) the operator is on a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.

(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
© An operator on a roadway having four or more lanes for moving vehicles and providing for two-way movement of vehicles may not drive left of the center line of the roadway except:
(1) as authorized by an official traffic-control device designating a specified lane to the left side of the center
of the roadway for use by a vehicle not otherwise permitted to use the lane;
(2) under the conditions described by Subsection (a)(2); or
(3) in crossing the center line to make a left turn into or out of an alley, private road, or driveway.

2 Likes

Not only this, but there is another car in the on ramp that is about to occupy the lane where the “slow” car would go to get out of the tailgater’s way. The brake checker has nowhere to go.

2 Likes
2 Likes

For every one tailgater I see 5 people hanging out in the left lane not passing. Tailgating is dangerous, I do not endorse it under any circumstance. Hanging out in the passing lane when you’re not passing is also dangerous and illegal as it disrupts the flow of traffic.

5 Likes

Look at your info again.
This is the law that says you drive on the right side of the road. This is why it keeps referencing “left of center of the roadway” and why the section is entitled DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY and why one of the unless conditions is (3) the operator is on a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic.
On a road with 3 or more lanes in total, you can drive on the left hand land which is right of the center of the roadway.
Edit to add: In Texas, the “Left Lane Is For Passing Only” roads and highways are extremely rare.

3 Likes

That rider made many terrible decisions in that video, but at least he was bright enough to wear protective gear for the ride. Maybe he’d watched too many of those, “Calico cat scares off black bear” videos?

More likely, he’s just a dumbass.

2 Likes

Law still says to stay right unless passing… There’s even news articles about it.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Victim blaming?

Question. Assume we’re in the most stereotypically pro-gun American state. I walk up to you, point a gun at you, and say “walk faster, or I’ll shoot”. You happen to be the fastest gunslinger in the West, so you can easily draw and shoot me before I can react. Would that count as self-defense?
I did think Americans had the right to use their guns to defend themselves against people who threaten their lives. And “threatening somebody’s life” is just how I would describe someone tailgating at that distance.

I’ll do another of my “in Austria we do this differently” posts. For 0.2 seconds distance, you can be fined up to about 2000€ and lose your license for at least half a year. If you did it on purpose, because you wanted to get the other driver to go faster or to change lanes, you have comitted a criminal offence on top of that. In order to get your way, you have threatened another person with serious bodily harm or serious damage to his property. Up to 1 year in prison.

And for reference, the maximum penalty for killing multiple people by drunk driving in that same country is three years.

So I can’t quite wrap my head around the concept that both drivers in this video are even on the same order of magnitude of guilt. But, I have to admit, there are plenty of drivers in Austria who can, I’ve had several of them drive behind me…

If people are getting hit on purpose, that means that the damages paid are higher than the actual damages caused by the accident.

10 Likes

I agree that the left lane is and should be for passing only. I tend to be a cautious conservative driver, and having been stuck a very slow person in the left lane does put you in the awkward position of switching lanes to pass. When i did it, even though there were no cops around, i wanted to be less obvious about it so i drove slightly faster than the car in the left so it looked like i wanted to be on the right lane. After a while i switched back to the left lane.
In my opinion if you have to pass someone do it that way rather than speed around them.

1 Like

Brake checking is not self defense. Brake checking can be a criminal offense, especially if it causes a crash. Tailgating is illegal and dumb, no one should do it. Honestly I think that nobody should do any action purposefully that could potentially lead to a crash . Brake checking, tailgating, reckless driving, whatever. I can’t believe that there are so many people here defending someone who purposefully caused a crash.

https://jimcorleylaw.wordpress.com/2012/08/03/slam-brakes-on-tailgating-criminal-charge-prevent-accident-injury-recovery/

3 Likes

Again, check your own links and info

Sec. 544.011. LANE USE SIGNS. If, on a highway having more than one lane with vehicles traveling in the same direction, the Texas Department of Transportation or a local authority places a sign that directs slower traffic to travel in a lane other than the farthest left lane, the sign must read “left lane for passing only.”

If no such sign exists then there is no restriction
The link listing states and their laws clearly states that Texas is a ‘slow traffic keep right’ state.
Another of your links also proves my point

545.051. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY. (a) An operator on a roadway of sufficient width shall drive on the right half of the roadway, unless:

This is the law stating you drive on the right HALF of the road and not that you cannot drive in the left lane of a multi lane road.

Also, police officers are one of the worst places to go for legal advice.

4 Likes

That article is mainly talking about people going slower than the speed limit.

I see many more people breaking the speed limit in the left lane, than I see people going under the speed limit.

Most tailgaters don’t appear to know they’re doing it since they’re so used to driving in heavy traffic, and sitting on someone’s ass is a good way to offload speed control (for the most part) to the person ahead. They have little understanding of following distance or stopping distances when at speed. But there are plenty of folks, described above, who do the passive aggressive tailgating, clearly intended to frighten the tailgatee into another lane.

It’s this second group that needs to be killed immediately. The first group can be killed somewhat more discriminately over a longer period of time.

Also, sorry cousin Ted. I’ve seen the way you drive, so you go to the front of the death queue.

6 Likes

Ok fine… if a sign is there then that’s the law in texas… whatever. There’s still no law that designates the left lane as the “fast” lane, anywhere in texas law.

Also the fact that most states do have laws regarding passing lanes on highways has made it a general courtesy in the US to stay in the right lane unless you are actively passing. And when I say highways I don’t mean streets, i mean divided, higher speed highways. If you want to camp in the left lane and hold up passing and disrupting the flow of traffic because there isn’t a bloody sign… feel free to do so on your texas highways, I could give a shit.

1 Like