Car with front end body damage gets repaired

How much wood can a wood hood have if a wood hood would pass inspection?

9 Likes

Oh c’mon man. At least sand the edges and paint it.

6 Likes

Two girls for every boy!

I bought a '30 Ford wagon and we call it a woody
(Surf City, here we come)
You know it’s not very cherry, it’s an oldie but a goody
(Surf City, here we come)
Well, it ain’t got a back seat or a rear window
But it still gets me where I wanna go

9 Likes

:musical_note:We built it shitty​:musical_note:
:musical_note:We built it shitty with 2 by 4s​:musical_note:

20 Likes

Another wreck like the one that caused the original damage would be deadly.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Morgan used wooden frames with metal sheeting over, on top of a steel chassis. Crash protection in a Morgan is about as good as on a motorbike. The Morris Minor Traveller had an estate rear end which had wooden framing and steel panels; as I recall the Queen used to drive herself around Sandringham in one (incognito - if visiting the village you had to pretend you didn’t recognise her.)
You may be confusing them with Marcos, who did make some wooden cars using the same principle (steam bent plywood) as the airframe of the Mosquito light stealth bomber from WW2. (Their factories were close to where I live). The plywood chassis was not a success and was replaced by steel. Marcos itself was also not a success.

2 Likes

Oh, I definitely meant Morgan although I was using the term “wooden car” very loosely.

I do realize it’s not literally a wooden car but they are famous for using wood as part of the construction of the vehicle (not just as bougie trim bits).

1 Like

So why did someone put all that sheet metal on the back end of that car?

4 Likes

I have issues with pretty much every single one of your assumptions.

Citation needed… People do half assed repairs all the time and I’ve never heard of any of them resulting in additonal liability.

Ditto. Its all about the base vehicle.

Do any states do regular inspections, other than emissions testing?

Also, if no law is being broken, why would this fail the inspection anyway, even if one did?

If its legal, the police won’t harass you, at least in my experience. I’ve been driving old metermaid cars around San Francisco for about 20 years now, and some of them have been total junkers, often with a surfboard strapped to a very jurry rigged side rack. Everyone says “the police must pull you over all the time” but to their credit not one has.

Are you saying you suspect that fabricating your own hood is illegal?

Many jeeps have exposed wheel wells for example. As do metermaid cars…

All he needs on the front is headlights, running lights and turning lights, which he appears to have.

Right.

1 Like

Afternarket parts can absolutely increase your insurance premiums.

Yes. 17 states require safety inspections.

Checking the California vehicle code, there’s very specific rules here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=27001-28000&file=27600-27607

Cars made before 1971 are exempt, though. The example in the post clearly isn’t.

There’s specific rules and regs here, too. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=24001-25000&file=24400-24411

Maybe! California doesn’t require a hood but things like intake height and the like are regulated. If it obscures visibility beyond a certain threshold, that’s also illegal.

Just because you put a homebrew shitbox on the road and don’t get bothered by the police doesn’t make it legal.

2 Likes

Nor the converse. wrybread’s anecdote, at the very least, suggests that one can drive a sketchy looking vehicle in SF and not necessarily be cited.

3 Likes

Checking the California vehicle code, there’s very specific rules here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=27001-28000&file=27600-27607

Fair enough, but put a mud flap on it and he’s legal. That’s of course assuming he’s in California, which is a pretty big assumption, as is assuming that he’s in America.

There’s specific rules and regs here, too. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=24001-25000&file=24400-24411

Doesn’t look like any of those rules are being violated. They all relate to positioning, and he’s duplicating the stock positioning here.

Maybe! California doesn’t require a hood but things like intake height and the like are regulated. If it obscures visibility beyond a certain threshold, that’s also illegal.

Again, he’s just duplicating the positioning and dimensions of the original components. But again, using California as a vehicle code model is a pretty big stretch.

Just because you put a homebrew shitbox on the road and don’t get bothered by the police doesn’t make it legal.

Sounds like you don’t have enough experience driving around homebrewed shitboxes! As a long time homebrewed shitbox driver, I assure you if there’s something illegal about your homebrewed shitbox, the traffic police are all too interested in pointing it out to you.

I say bravo to this guy’s creativity. Assuming, of course, that it’s all reasonably safe. But aside from the heinous look of the thing I don’t see any reason to suspect that it isn’t. It still has the same metal frame as before, and for example the 4x4 replacing the bumper has very similar impact absorbing properties as a regular bumper.

1 Like

That’s correct. You only get cited if its actually illegal, and not just vaguely sketchy and illegal looking to laymen. And if it is illegal, you get cited very very quickly, and often.

Edited to add: and if you do get a ticket for something like not having a mud flap, its usually a fix it ticket so no biggie anyway.

1 Like

and a coffee can exhaust unless I’m seeing it wrong.

maybe not coffee, you wouldn’t want to be seen as putting on airs. Probably bulk baked beans or something, chef boyardee economy size?

2 Likes

#(Surf City, here we come)

4 Likes

Going forward, this car will have to be worked on with a pallet jack.

5 Likes

So you’re white?

6 Likes

Ha I knew someone was going to say that. Fair enough.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.