Car with front end body damage gets repaired

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/29/car-with-front-end-body-damage.html

2 Likes

I suppose it was inevitable that some craftsman would try taking this in the other direction.

27 Likes

Finally! Artisinal autobody repair! I’m a little concerned that the plywood wasn’t hand harvested and laminated using an authentic 200 year-old restored screw press, but you have to give start ups time to perfect their supply chain and artistic workflow. I’d like to see butcher block on the next model, and a conversion to biodesil…

13 Likes

Somehow I don’t think this is quite legal…

13 Likes

When all you’ve got is a hammer…

10 Likes

And a Skill saw, don’t forget the Skill saw…

13 Likes

Sure, but does it have some fart-pipes on the back?

10 Likes

Or an artisinal wooden spoiler:

17 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, that’s a shot from “The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Driftwood”.

30 Likes

Better hope his engine doesn’t overheat.

Which reminds me, years ago when I lived in Seattle there was a guy who attached a radiator from a Ford to the front of his air-cooled VW bus, with pipes going around the sides to the engine compartment (I assume he had a Ford engine in there too.) It looked like hell, but it worked, so, whatever . . . .

4 Likes

My first car was a VW Bug, 69, with completely rusted out floor pans. It was so bad the supports were rotten too, so new floor pans couldn’t be installed. So we bolted plywood on the bottom of the car, carpeted the top and put thin sheetmetal underneath so we could pass inspection.

Drove that car for two years.

12 Likes

Morgan has been making wooden cars for over a century. There’s nothing inherently wrong with using wood in car manufacture.

The example in this posting is definitely suspect, though. I certainly doubt it meets passenger impact regulations.

7 Likes

To what degree are car repairs required to meet Federal car standards?

3 Likes

wuzzat yellow thingy??? You gotta hold up a CD to measure that sort of thing.

4 Likes

You hear about the wooden car?

It wooden go.

11 Likes

Wood? Would not.

5 Likes

I don’t really know the answer so this is speculation. Not repairing your car to OEM standards would likely open you up to additional liability, denial of insurance, denial of registration (if your state does regular inspecations), and harassment by law enforcement.

Beyond it being an obviously home-brew hood, there’s many things there that are definitely not up to spec like the exposed wheel wells, improper lighting, and so on.

3 Likes

I think you mean a banana. This is BoingBoing. Bananas are the measure of all things.

8 Likes

Not super sure I’d want to drive that anywhere above 25mph, for reasons of both safety and fuel economy. And yeah, heat dispersion juuuuust might be a problem.

But all in all…not a bad job!

5 Likes

I suspect stunt rather than actual, permanent repair.

But, for no good reason, the picture gave me a happy smile.

2 Likes