Car with mounted "gun" panics Detroit suburb

Oh, I thought it was going to be that other freep (Free Republic forums)

You also have to consider the honesty/fallibility of the 911 caller.

I remember when I was rebuilding my motorcycle, I’d hung the transmission up in the wrong gear, and couldn’t get out of first gear when making a test run around our apartment complex parking lot (around noontime). The police showed up for a citizen complaint, expecting to find a guy racing around and popping wheelies. It wasn’t until I showed them that I couldn’t go more than about 8 mph, that they said the caller was known to call in quite often.

Except multiple, disparate people called in to 911 reporting that he was firing this thing. They described the same exact thing, as if the thing was being fired.

Now, they could all be making it up. Or there could be something to this. Plus, one of the callers actually had background noises of it being fired during their call.

Short answer, the lawyer is being protective of his client but the evidence doesn’t match the reality.

populace reassured…<<

All 20 of them who haven’t moved out of Detroit, that is.

I’m guessing he was using compressed air to cycle the gun but not really firing it. Although this wouldn’t produce nearly as loud a noise as firing it could be interpreted as such by those unfamiliar with firearms. In the picture I see no front license plate on the vehicle. Does Michigan not require front license plates? Maybe this wasn’t street legal therefore the confiscation.

No, we don’t have plates in the front. It was probably taken as evidence, but the owner will probably have a very difficult time getting it back.

Oddly enough, there was a retired jeep with a mounted .50 cal modified in the same manner in our 4th of July parade. A very pleased looking older gentleman was operating it. Everyone got a kick out of it. Time and place matter, eh?

1 Like

In Los Angeles, back in the 60’s or 70’s, you used to be able to rent a WW2 scout car (like this thing with a different turret)

It occasionally caused quite a stir on the local roads but was quite legal (the 20 mm cannon was deactivated, barrel welded shut etc) and they even did an episode of Adam-12 about people getting hysterical and the cops pulling this thing over only to find out it was completely street legal.

The M1 Abrams tank can hit 60 or 65 so I’d not be surprised if you did find one in your rear view mirror ont he freeway someplace. Rubberized tread inserts keep it from tearing up the roadway.

Happier times.

BB, you are so disappoints: no posts referencing this:

teapot:
I don’t see how they could legally confiscate it.

If you follow Catchews link you will see that the owner has already started lawyering up and is working to defend himself from several of the most obvious angles of attack.

Two I see are:

You bring in the Homeland Defense angle. This (for whatever reason) is terrorizt and clearly improper for civilians to own. Thus it is confiscated. Later it turns up repainted in the local SWAT colors.

You threaten him with various felonies and years spent wiling his time and retirement funds away in court. You agree not to prosecute if he gives up the car and signs away any remaining legal rights in the matter. The gag order keeps the results out of the news.

Too easy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.