Cards close to chest or vest

Wife and I got in a minor spat (very minor). Do you say “keep your cards close to your vest” or “keep cards close to your chest”? I am on #teamchest and she is firmly planted in #teamvest. I googled it - you can say either. But I’m curious what fellow boingers say. I’m acknowledging we’re both the same degree as right - just curious what others here say, how old they are (roughly), whether they’ve heard both or just one, and where in the world you are.

1 Like

I’m a southern Californian, and I’ve read both, heard both, and used both. I think I prefer “vest” just because it gives it a little Old West panache.

Oh, and I’m 46.

8 Likes

Cards? Who says cards?

It’s bards. Keep your bards close to your chest (or vest, either is fine).

9 Likes

Chest. I have never heard the vest variation. Somewhere south of 40, still, somehow. Brit/PNW.

5 Likes

I always used “chest,” and never heard vest (though maybe my brain auto-corrected it when people said “vest”). Grew up in SoCal, live in TX now. I’m in the low 40s somewhere.

4 Likes

I use “Vest” but have heard both. 26 in the PNW.

5 Likes

I don’t remember ever hearing “vest.”

And I remember the first word as “Play,” not “Keep.”

6 Likes

Pretty sure I’ve heard both. there are several related constructions I think
holding your cards close to your chest
but
playing it close to the vest

I’m 39, and Canadian

4 Likes

I’ve heard both forms.

Yes, I know that was no help at all; sorry.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Over 40, Canuck of British heritage…
And I’ve heard mainly chest, but I have distinct memories of English relatives saying “vest”.

5 Likes

Depends what I may be wearing at the time.

10 Likes

Chest, never heard vest. Missouri & Minnesota. Edit: I’m in my mid-30s.

4 Likes

I’ve always said vest.

I’ve heard chest, but when I’m speaking, if I say chest about my own body it is generally because I’m trying to avoid saying the word tits. I don’t like to draw attention to my upper torso, it already gets more attention than I prefer, but I may be weird.

Edit to add: I’m in my early 40s and I grew up in Southern California. I’ve since moved to the MidWest but my word usage was pretty set before I showed up here.

10 Likes

Play your cards close to your vest.
So Cal, but born in America’s Dairyland. Old but not ancient.

4 Likes

Midwest Currently. Former Texan and Greater NorthWest. Mid 40s

Heard both vest and chest, prefer “play”, “cards”, & “vest”

2 Likes

#teamVest

but

“Breast your cards.”

4 Likes

I think “keep your cards close to your tits” might be an improvement on the original phrase.

Also, I strongly dislike “play” because “playing” a card to me isn’t just holding the card in your hand, and often means putting the card face up on the table.

6 Likes

Answers all over the place. I can’t draw any conclusions other than … seems like both are ok, not unusual to know of both or not know of both.

3 Likes

Does it matter?

You just got to know when to fold 'em.

And know when to hold 'em.

Because sometimes nothing can be a cool hand.

8 Likes

6 Likes