Carpet is disgusting

Our old house had zero carpet. Our new house has carpet upstairs.

Our cats think running on carpet is the best thing ever. They can really dig in their claws for traction and tear ass around the place. It’s hilarious to watch!

4 Likes

my old classroom had a tile floor. my new classroom has an institutional indoor/outdoor low pile carpet and my back, feet, and legs are all singing the praises of the carpet. i despise hard floors anywhere they are unnecessary for purposes of cleaning (e.g. bathrooms, kitchens). my bedroom and my living areas are going to have carpet because i love having a cushion to absorb the shocks gravity causes my body every day. throw rugs, btw, are a serious safety hazard.

8 Likes

We’ll give you a quar… 50¢ if you drink that.

4 Likes

I quite like walking barefoot on cold hard surfaces, especially in winter. Wood floor for me when possible. I dunno why, it is just a thing.

came to see satisfied customers of a dank reference…am not disappointed!

(It’s dank all the way down.)

8 Likes
7 Likes

Do you mop your other floors? Isn’t the water always this color? What’s the difference?

7 Likes

Some things are best left unseen.

8 Likes

I’d love to replace the carpeted surfaces in my condo with hardwoods but our HOA guidelines don’t allow for it.

And, yeah, carpet sucks, but this post comes across as being awfully boujie.

3 Likes

Ban all carpet. Never live in Britain. Or New Zealand where the houses are so shit carpets are there to stop the wind coming up through the gaps in the floor. I live in New Zealand. * sigh *

4 Likes

That’s pretty much what happened in my brother in law’s house. Full mud bed wrecked the room under it and the stairwell, they had to gut all three.

This is my upstairs bath which I plumbed, wired, floored, plastered &etc myself:

I relaid the floor five times. Tiling an upstairs room that wasn’t built for it is not trivial!. I don’t plan to ever do it again and strongly recommend marmoleum or vinyl tile over porcelain or other ceramics.

All that being said, carpet in a bathroom is gross. Just say no!

6 Likes

The underlay was probably “filthy” long before it was soiled!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_retardant#Health_concerns

2 Likes

i had one of those when i worked as a housekeeper at a ranch/resort. i did not need it to know that people can be completely disgusting when they stay at an expensive hotel.

2 Likes

More of a cradle of filth, presumably.

7 Likes

I have it on good authority, Carpet thinks that YOU are disgusting.

9 Likes

richmond

17 Likes

The pros rip out the old floor down to the joists and lay a new tile friendly plywood subloor (and waterproof it), before they start playing around with mud and tile. But that takes a lot of time and money.

6 Likes

Yeah, just generally avoid carpet completely if you have any allergies at all. It made a huge difference to my mom’s health when they ripped out the carpet in their old home.

3 Likes

There is a terrific book, The Gospel of Germs by historian Nancy Tomes, who discusses how the growing acceptance of the germ theory of disease in the late 1800s brought about changes in home design and decoration. Apparently carpet in the bathroom was once pretty much universal.

2 Likes

My understanding is that in the US at least carpet didn’t become ubiquitous until post WWII right when a lot of new home construction was happening and innovations in carpet technology made wall-to-wall an affordable option for the average person. This also unfortunately led to a lot of fairly nice hardwood floors getting covered by carpet.

2 Likes