Diner carpet cleaned

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/07/diner-carpet-cleaned.html

2 Likes

fora-dana20

29 Likes

I’m curious to know how long it had been since the last cleaning.

3 Likes

The day it was installed at a guess. :smiley:

9 Likes

I remain utterly mystified by the vast number of people who think it’s a good idea to ever put down wall to wall carpet in their homes or, well, anywhere, really. Even if you have no pets, no kids, and always use a personal antigravity unit to move from room to room like Baron Harkonnen in Dune, carpet is just a filthy dusty breeding ground for allergens and odours.

Invest in a hard floor, and then put down area rugs small enough to toss in your washing machine. Your lungs will thank you, your wallet will thank you, and the next person to live in your house will thank you.

20 Likes

Here’s my guess on the unnamed diner. The address number above the door matches.

5 Likes

This is why we do not have carpet.

Rugs tend to fare poorly in washing machines, and besides they’re a lot easier to clear than wall-to-wall carpet. Having a rear patio helps of course.

5 Likes

Some do OK - mostly bath mats. The idea is that if necessary (dog poo, kid vomit, etc), you can just fucking wash the thing. Otherwise, shake and beat them out on the back deck. By prohibiting yourself from having a large rug, you liberate yourself from the need to even own a vacuum cleaner or carpet cleaner.

3 Likes

This is the sort of place where I adhere strictly to the 5 second rule, not a second more.

16 Likes

I like vacuuming our area rugs.

Anyway, if going for minimalism, I can see the appeal of smaller rugs. I prefer bigger ones, but I agree wall-to-wall carpet isn’t worth the hassle.

1 Like

I preemptively puked in my mouth

4 Likes

I came here to post that. If they meant to safeguard their customers’ privacy, they seriously underestimated the time it takes to google “Carson diner 3697”.

I don’t judge, though. It looks like the kind of place I would like to eat, and the name is fun, and their carpets are cleaner than mine.

3 Likes

Good for her…

5 Likes

There’s one unexpected downside. I use a small rug to cover an electrical cord that runs across a high-traffic doorway. But the cats chase each other back and forth all day while I’m at work, and I never know where that rug will end up.

2 Likes

We replaced all the carpets in our last house with tile (downstairs) and paper bag floors (upstairs).

The sheer amount of FUNK that was under the carpets when we pulled them up was just disgusting. I don’t by any means consider myself a neat freak, but there was absolutely no way that anything could ever have cleaned that out.

Upside: spills could be cleaned a lot easier. Allergies also got better.

Downside: the dirt wasn’t hiding in the carpet anymore and it became immediately obvious how often we don’t sweep…

6 Likes

Get a this: https://www.google.com/search?q=cord+floor+protector&tbm=isch

Never been much of a fan of carpet. It can be really comfy but cleaning them is such a chore. Would rather deal with sweeping/mopping.

2 Likes

“Innt that nice? If that don’t please you ASMR people I don’t know what will” :relaxed:

1 Like

It must feel good to effect tangible, positive change in the world.

4 Likes