Carving a spatula from firewood

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/21/carving-a-spatula-from-firewood.html

Isn’t all wood potentially fire wood?

8 Likes

Greg lent her his shop, helped her around the farm and with electrical work, and all he gets is a spoon that from which she makes a 5 minutes video with a product placement that will earn her money. Much generosity !

1 Like

Oh a tramping trip last year we forgot to pack spoons. Stupid, but, anyway. MsJonS was impressed that I managed to knock up a pair of serviceable spoons from some large splinters and splits found in the wood shed behind the hut, using just a leatherman.

I wanted to burn the evidence of my shame, but she insisted on keeping one of them.

It’s not the prettiest, but it was effective, and surprisingly comfortable to use.

10 Likes

Mrs Peas runs a wilderness program and my kids have been going for a long time. My son carved this burn spoon when we was about 8-9 years old. I think it’s exquisite!

The trick is to take a live coal out of the fire with a knife or other non-flammable material and blow on it to hollow out the bowl part.

9 Likes

Who… who burns walnut?!?

4 Likes

Another method for wooden-spoon making.

2 Likes

He also gets some coffee ice cream. Trust me. Greg is not getting the raw end of the deal; Ann is.

That’s hella cool - I love the elegant simplicity of the technique, and the second-order effect of the charring providing a hardening effect to the working surface of the tool.

Good job.

I’m very tempted to try this one night in a hut, just for the joy and the challenge of doing it.

2 Likes

It works really well to make bowls, as well.

They also use the same coal technique to make rocket stoves (basically a hollowed stump that you can feed tinder and get a raging, concentrated flame).

3 Likes

It looks super-light and warm to the touch too.
Unlike these that I’ve been lugging around for years.

Granted I chose them for price, durability, and compactability and they have delivered those in buckets.

The flip side is they are HEAVY and the spoon was so wide it made my mouth raw until I got used to it!

2 Likes

I have a set of those too (did I mention forgetting the spoons? :woozy_face:) except I threw the knife, fork, and carrier away years ago. Basically, any food I carry on my back just doesn’t need a k/f, so they were just a waste of space. ‘Big’ food that needs a knife and fork also needs big other things (pots, pans, cooker, chiller), which invariably means the car isn’t too far away.

A spoon makes a serviceable knife for most eating tasks (cutting stuff like cheese, spreading jam), and there’s always the pocket knife for tough food :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve retired my pocket knife. It has a marlin spike and D shackle opener on it and they get more use than the blade these days!

My little pack contains only these two knives as I’ve found everything else superfluous to my needs.

I mainly fish (iki,scale,fillet,sashimi…yum) with the 5inch (though I could break down a pig or mutton carcass with it) and most everything else with the little Victorinox serated. I think it’s my new favourite all round blade.

Now I’m thinking it may be worth whittling a spoon and ditching the heavy army surpus utensils.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.