Casey Kasem getting angry at his radio producers

He did not keep his feet on the ground while he was reaching for stars! That’s for sure.

2 Likes

Give up!!

6 Likes

Irony: 02. Bullet The Blue Sky (Jacknife Lee Remix).mp3

Language NSFW

1 Like

Members of Negativland were given the Casey tape by a fan in Portland Oregon where they were performing at the time. I think even THEY (the band) preserve the anonymity of the donor of the tape to this day.

Negativland - many years after the Casey/U2/SST Records (their own record label sued them for legal costs) debacle - released a CD entitled These Guys Are From England And Who Gives A Shit, which included their hilarious U2 ep cuts, along with everything else they did directly related to that saga. It’s worth checking out if you’re a fan or merely curious.

7 Likes

The leaked Kasem tape was more shocking at the time than anything could be today because everything was a lot more mediated and moderated back then. Now we know most of our heroes are probably assholes in private, and not to look too close or expect too much.

3 Likes

Also you had to know someone for access to it. In the days before youtube MrsTobinL and I felt really lucky to get tickets to a screening of Superstar:The Karen Carpenter Story at a tiny art house theater in Vancouver BC. Now it gets posted and taken down regularly from youtube and other video sites. These things are just out there for anyone to find if they bother looking now instead of hearing about them from a friend and having to track down the out of print record, find a source, etc.

7 Likes

Now, we’re up to our long distance dedication…

4 Likes

Negativland has also had the U2 single available in MP3 for download on their web site since the mid 1990s.

I remember downloading and listening to the MP3s for the first time, my computer was such a piece of crap it could barely play it – in fact unbeknownst to me it was only playing one of the stereo channels so for some time I didn’t realize what was playing out of the L side was completely different than the R side so I never even heard the ham radio conversation that plays throughout the song until months later.

5 Likes

If you’ve read all these comments and don’t know who Negativland are, please check out some albums!

I suggest Helter Stupid, Dispepsi, Escape from Noise, or Over the Edge Vol 4: Dick Vaughn’s Moribund Music of the 70’s.

Man, they were really underappreciated in their time.

5 Likes

Nonononono. England can have U2 in their Brexit deal. I mean currently they are Dutch for tax purposes but when England leaves the EU taking the rest of the UK with it money laundering is the actual business plan isn’t it?

3 Likes

I have Over the Edge Vol 4 on cassette – the CD has been very elusive to me for some time now and it’s not on any of the streaming services.

While I generally avoid buying music physically these days I always try to seek out Negativland’s stuff because they always throw in so much weird extra stuff with the physical packaging (let’s not forget after Don Joyce died, his ashes were included with their subsequent album release).

Sadly, over the years I’ve lost most of the little trinkets and baubles that had been included with the stuff of theirs that I’ve bought.

4 Likes

Just reminded me of a great one: Tribulation 99.

Fair enough but thing with the movie I used as an example it was pulled from distribution and there are no legal copies of it for sale even today. Also it is actually an amazing and well done film. You forget you are watching Barbie dolls and sit stunned at the end.

3 Likes

Trib 99 not pulled from distribution?

That’s what they want you to think.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No, it’s NOT Negativland! They’re very clear that it was NOT Negativland releasing that! It’s a bootleg release, really!

Which I ordered directly from Negativland’s website, natch.

:slight_smile:

Back in something like middle of 1993 (after the shit had hit the fan between Island and SST, and then also after likewise between SST and the band), some dedicated fan was at a club and recorded a board mix of one of their shows, and released a boot of it called Negativconcertland. IIRC, most of the profits (such as they were) from the release went to help the band’s legal fees.
(The guy selling the discs also sold T-shirts with the cover to the single on the front, and the “Just Say Bono!” picture and “Corporate Rock Still Sucks” on the back. I miss that shirt.)

1 Like

Right, right. NOT Negativland! My bad.

And SST also released what was supposed to be a legit Negativland live album from around the same time as Negativconcertland, but in 1997 for some reason, really shoddily mastered (from a board cassette) and crappily packaged. They owned it, apparently, or was owed a Negativland release.

I miss my No Other Possibility sticker from A Big 10-8 Place, which went to the great wrecking yard in the sky with my old Mercury.

1 Like

I think in this day and age of just about every “rare” thing being easily available about the only comparable thing to the old days would be The Day the Clown Cried.

2 Likes

Probably cause it was never released and very very few prints were actually made. Which helps a lot with that one.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.