Casey Kasem getting angry at his radio producers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/28/casey-kasem-getting-angry-at-h.html

7 Likes

He seems fun to work with.

6 Likes

He has a point, but he completely breaks with his calm and friendly professional persona to make it and does so with a hot mic present. That’s why this ranks up there close to the king of the genre, Orson Welles.

5 Likes

Fuck Snuggles.

6 Likes

How you can post this without mentioning Negativland is beyond me.

24 Likes

“These guys are from England (sic) and who gives a shit!”

Well, at least I agree with Casey’s opinion of U2.

8 Likes

My boyfriend and I quote that to each other all the time!

4 Likes
22 Likes

Like, Zoiks!

6 Likes

This is also nothing new.

3 Likes

We shall seeeeeell no wiiiiiiine, oh crap lets do it again…

Also this classic from Martin and Lewis.

6 Likes

What do you call a meme you knew about before you knew what memes were? This is practically in the “Ten Thousand” category, per XKCD.

4 Likes

He was channeling my Boss, I’m sure of it.

3 Likes

And how one can mention Negativland without going into the massive lawsuit… well.

By my late teens, I had stumbled into several circles of recording engineers who welcomed me with open arms. The Kasem recording Negativeland had was several copies deep. When I first heard it, I laughed knowing what was coming, as I had already heard the raw one. The crew that ran Casey Kasem’s Top 40 show would go on to work on Rick Dees Top 40 and in between takes, to let off steam, Rick Dees would banter with the raging (recorded) Kasem and the engineers would have fun timing the clips. I brought them the Negativeland U2 CD and none of them had heard it before.

They were very protective of their closer-to-the-source recordings and, to this day, I think they have no idea who leaked it. They believed whoever got it to Negativeland was many steps removed. Since the Negativeland CD was no longer in stores, they recorded my (borrowed) one. I asked for a truer copy of the original rant, and could see as they were taping it they deliberately pegged the recording volume so I got a distorted rant and they still hadn’t leaked a better copy. This is also true of the version posted here (and no, it didn’t come from me. I promptly lost mine.)

I was also familiar with Casey. He supported progressive causes and promoted dialogue between Jewish and Arab youths. His final days are a pretty sad story with a battle between his kids and his second wife surrounding his failed health.

Other than not knowing which nation U2 were from, I agree with the flashpoint of his rant. You don’t go uptempo when Snuggles is dead.

13 Likes

Here is the other song from the album U2 that uses clips of Casey Kasem, though not as much as the first.

5 Likes

Jacknife Lee made good use of the sample in his track, “A Dog Named Snuggles.”

1 Like

I once knew a couple whose euphemism for canoodling was “Getting Don on the phone”…

3 Likes

I dunno. Billy-O really gives him a run for his money with this meltdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy-Y3HJNU_s

[have not figured out the embed thing, sorry]

2 Likes

Good catch! Definitely a hall-of-famer.

2 Likes

and also, Christianity is stupid, Communism is good.

5 Likes