If you don’t want your child to murder you, then forbid them from listening to the awesome 1980s experimental band, Negativland

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/07/24/if-you-dont-want-your-child-to-murder-you-then-forbid-them-from-listening-to-the-awesome-1980s-experimental-band-negativland.html

4 Likes

How you cannot ad the song Christianity is Stupid is beyond me.

But don’t worry I got you,

13 Likes

Car Bomb!!!

4 Likes
4 Likes

I just played my ten year-olds this song. I intend to continue this experiment over the next six years. If you don’t hear from me in July 2027, you’ll know it worked.

7 Likes

Not many people know that Negativland released an album of a capella album versions of some of their tracks. Including this:

Here’s the newscast video link for the BBS:

For just about anybody who was around in the Bay Area at this time, this is likely to bring about intense nostalgia. I know it does for me.

5 Likes

Side A of their Helter Stupid album with their take on the fiasco:

2 Likes

This and the U2 thing are great examples of how throwing a tiny pebble into a pond, under the right circumstances, can have unplanned ripple effects. I love how even they were surprised at how crazy it all got. Here’s a great interview on the U2 thing: Negativland

6 Likes

Actual censorship. In case anyone was wondering what censorship actually looks like.

1 Like

To add to this, here’s the entire book they wrote on the topic in free to download ebook form (the ePub is pretty broken but the PDF works well). They certainly weren’t passive participants here - after they originally poked the bear, they took things as far as they possibly could to make a point. (They paid a hefty price in the process, though.)

5 Likes

Not really related, but we’re linking Negativland videos, so…

7 Likes

There’s so many great videos to choose from, and in the DIY spirit of Negativland, many are fan made.

Here’s two of my perennial favorites that I find myself going back to every so often:

4 Likes

This is the pinnacle of “culture jamming”, create news hysteria about one of your songs, then record that hysteria to make an album. Totally blew my mind back then.

3 Likes

“was disseminated and discussed in the mass media, seemingly with little to no fact-checking.”

So nothing has changed then?

8 Likes

If I make my sister’s kid listen to it does it cause her kid to kill me or my sister?

7 Likes

Why not both?

5 Likes

If that were my intention, it would certainly cut down on the work!

5 Likes

After 30 years in prison David still doesn’t want to talk about why he did it. The eldest brother who wasn’t living with the family at the time the murders happened died of cancer some years ago. Did the brothers ever talk about this over the years?

3 Likes

For the love of God, don’t let them listen to My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.