Cash, $3 million, found in barrels of raw pork

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/11/cash-3-million-found-in-bar.html

4 Likes

Well, let’s just get this out of the way:

38 Likes

Where’s Daddy?

010-bring-home-the-bacon-3

9 Likes

A bit on the nose, amirite?

First off, there was $5 M in those barrels when I dropped them off at FedEx.

Second, they’d never guess that the cash was just there to conceal my devious scheme to export illegal bacon to Mexico!

26 Likes

Yeah, sure it was heading to Mexico, cause American’s are law abiding honest capitalist.

/s

7 Likes

I’m curious of the steps that lead from:

“from a tractor trailer they pulled over”

to:

" the barrels of raw pork shoulder in which it was discovered"

Truck driving weird -> search them?

5 Likes

from the linked AP article:

The driver of the tractor trailer was accused of failing to maintain his lane and impeding the flow of traffic on Interstate 85.
Deputies became suspicious of the truck when a K-9 alerted to the trailer, the post says. Deputies searched the tractor trailer and discovered the cash wrapped in plastic in the barrels.

How a dog can smell cash through all the raw pork who knows…or maybe the dog was just like “baconBaconBacon…i smell bacon, bacon bacon!!!” and the cops thought something fishy was going on.

23 Likes

Well, lets just say that police dogs get inured to the smell of pork products after a while… :wink:

18 Likes

One can’t be certain(which is the point); but “parallel construction” is a known DEA favorite.

Seem not at all unlikely that other data led to the truck being selected; and it’s just the chain of evidence that has been selected to see court that starts with the…fortuitous…traffic stop.

21 Likes

I believe K9s are also known as “probable cause on four legs”

ETA: I see I was ninjaed by @fuzzyfungus

12 Likes

Yeah… This smells like “Sources and Methods,” to me. They knew about the truck either because of some non-admissable intelligence OR some wiretap or snitch that they want to keep secret.

11 Likes

So, they confiscated someone’s piggy bank? rude.

15 Likes

So the K-9 can be a cover for prior surveillance/undercover work done on the criminal operation. Makes sense. Happens with all manner of spycraft/investigation.

3 Likes

Well, somebody’s gonna be smoked. The results of their streaky run of good luck won’t be coming back any time soon.

5 Likes

Maybe they will try the typical scheme next time:

https://people.exeter.ac.uk/watupman/undergrad/ron/methods%20and%20stages.htm

4 Likes

Um, yeah… the K-9 will alert to whateverthehell its handler wants it to alert to. Doesn’t have to make sense…

8 Likes

The canine nose is a thing of sheer wonder. It’s ability is way way way beyond the human nose.

1 Like

“It’s one of the largest U.S. currency seizures in Cleveland County history,” Sheriff Alan Norman told The Shelby Star.

Just one of the largest? Wow! I’m gonna start hanging out in Cleveland County just, ya know, on the off chance I happen across this or that package.

3 Likes

These police dogs don’t do anything. They’re just trained to act excited when the officer indicates.

5 Likes

Years ago, I was waiting in line to pay for my sandwich at a deli. I had my cash in my hand, but the total came to a couple cents over what I had, so I put the bill in my mouth, and reached into my pocket to grab some change.

The guy behind the counter said “if you knew where that bill had been, you’d never put it in your mouth.”

Words of wisdom that have stuck with me all this time.

6 Likes