Cat falls into vat of deadly chemicals, puts Japanese city on high alert

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/13/cat-falls-into-vat-of-deadly-chemicals-puts-japanese-city-on-high-alert.html

10 Likes

Cat has been found and adopted.

16 Likes

10 Likes

If this chemical is so incredibly dangerous why are they storing it in open vats? You’d think they would keep it in a closed tank.

11 Likes

Cat is in a sewer right now learning Kung Fu and eating pizza.

10 Likes

This is a chrome plating vat. To make it work, you put the often quite large things on a metal rack, wired securely for both conductivity and to keep it from falling off, and dip it in the vat with current running. The process itself can generate a large amount of gas quite abruptly if things go wrong, and even in standard use both hydrogen and oxygen are created. A closed or covered vat would be more or less useless, as it would have to be off in use, and when covered would constitute an explosion hazard (hydrogen and oxygen gas mixed and waiting for a spark) even when not in use as the gases go out of solution. In standard practice, such vats are instead well ventilated, and the gases allowed to escape in low concentrations to atmosphere.

So long as our society likes shiny things, I’m afraid that open vats of hexavalent chromium solution are going to be around in plating factories. I do feel sorry for the cat, and hope the factory owners take steps to keep other animals out, but I’m a bit more worried that someone will find the sick or dead cat and get contaminated themselves. Plating solution is nasty stuff.

28 Likes

It is really sad that this cat fell into it and will likely die a really slow death as it gets poisoned :frowning: as you said, i hope they can change things to ensure that no other animals could accidentally fall in it

8 Likes

Considering how cats clean themselves out of habit/nature, that poor cat is fucked.

Not something I want to think about.

7 Likes

Send in Sgt. Kabukiman! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8YSEvAO2vLM

Possibly the cat just got one or more of its paws wet and wasn’t entirely submerged. Otherwise, how would it have gotten out of the vat? Still a high chance of poisoning though.

For those reasons plating is being banned in the EU

Chrome plating will be banned in all new cars starting 2024 - ASM International.

5 Likes

1 Like

Let’s hope that the kitty is on our side.

5 Likes

Aw, I was hoping he would drag Godzilla’s carcass to someone’s doorstep.

5 Likes

Shades of The Plague Dogs; probably with the same “happy” ending.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s where my thinking went but old school. 0_o

(Monty Python)

5 Likes

cat kitten GIF

(I’m going to focus on this rather than the horror of the reality)

8 Likes

Selina Kyle might have a word or two to say about that.

The Cat in the Hat Falls in the Toxic Vat!

:cat2: in the :tophat:

3 Likes

Could we not cover such a vat with a grating when not in use? Prevent animals / people from falling in but allow free passage of low pressure gasses?