Catastrophic Lego engine failure

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/01/catastrophic-lego-engine-failu.html

4 Likes

Frankly, I’m concerned.

2 Likes

All those Lego engines are going to require lots of Lego oil, which will lead to Lego Climate Change

14 Likes

…are they using two wires dipped in saline solution as a throttle? Sweet.

13 Likes

Well plus the fact that Legos themselves are made from a petroleum derived ABS plastic.

From Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene - Wikipedia

ABS is derived from acrylonitrile, butadiene, and styrene. Acrylonitrile is a synthetic monomer produced from propylene and ammonia; butadiene is a petroleum hydrocarbon obtained from the C4 fraction of steam cracking; styrene monomer is made by dehydrogenation of ethyl benzene — a hydrocarbon obtained in the reaction of ethylene and benzene.

1 Like

Thank you! I was about to try to do a search to see what the hell they were doing!

It looks to me like they’re using the wires in a saline solution, and moving the wires farther apart to make the engine go slower (more resistance) and closer to make it go faster. I’m not totally sure though, we don’t see it long.

Needs a Lego rev limiter which will cut down on costly Lego engine rebuilds.

3 Likes

I think they’ve located the Lego homeworld:

2 Likes

I think they are doing it to screw with us! They have electrical equipment, but no pots around. Really!

I’m falling on the side of this is purposefully messing with us!!!

…and salty!

Probably could have gone to higher RPMs if they’d sanded down the pistons slightly, and put some graphite on the pistons and crankshaft. Friction is likely the killer here.

3 Likes

If it stayed together it would be, well, anything other than Lego.

1 Like

10 Likes

I think it’s more likely that the impact force of the pistons at the higher RPMs was to high for the lego connections, thus causing the engines to come apart.

2 Likes

That happens to me every time I climb stairs.

I was anticipating close-ups of melted and/or broken pieces in the end. In the absence of such spectacular results, impact forces and vibration do seem likely culprits.

1 Like

Seriously. Do you know what kind of plastic bucks Lego mechanic’s labor is? Many, many tiny brown treasure chests’ worth, I tell you.

2 Likes

Most entertaining carbon sequestration ever, no?

Looks like the design is based on the 6C in the Citroën SM, this had similar issues.