Catholic League insists that it's only rape when priests "penetrate" children

“Life is white
And I am black
Jesus and his lawyer
Are coming back”

2 Likes

You mean Michael Avenatti?

so offer him a very long prolonged baptism? then repeat until satisfactory results are achieved ?

7 Likes

I wish Pope Frank was sending the Swiss Guard places to arrest the bastards in the Church. Seeing this guy get hassled by dudes with halberds would make my day.

14 Likes

Um, I’m actually hoping they’ll keep that info in their pants.

13 Likes

What a bunch of willfully obtuse, justifying bullshit.

21 Likes

tumblr_p36dps7izR1w97wono2_500

17 Likes

It has always been safe to assume that Bill Donohue and his self-made “Catholic League” (which is largely just a PO Box) is a full on piece of shit and will say something stupid.

I am not surprised here in the least.

5 Likes

Could Pope Francis sue the Catholic League for damages to the Catholic brand name? Asking for a friend.

7 Likes

The questioners of the Inquisition were forbidden to shed blood, so their interview techniques were limited to things like the rack and thumbscrews. The Church has a long history of this sort of rules-lawyering.

11 Likes

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary, Bill:

Definition of rape

1 : unlawful sexual activity and usually sexual intercourse carried out forcibly or under threat of injury against a person’s will or with a person who is beneath a certain age or incapable of valid consent because of mental illness, mental deficiency, intoxication, unconsciousness, or deception.

12 Likes

It would not be hard to find hundreds of articles online by Catholics who have zero tolerance or sympathy for sexual predators in the priesthood. Probably a lot easier than cherrypicking an article by a member of the Catholic lunatic fringe. But - more clicks going the latter path, of course.

2 Likes

Bill Donohue, the president of the ultra-conservative Catholic League, has called the Pennsylvania Supreme Court’s

Fixed that for you Cory.

8 Likes

Are you, perhaps, a little disappointed in BoingBoing?

11 Likes

Naaah. Not sure that it’s possible.

Taking it old-school:

“Fake Cuneiform Tablets!”

The real upshot of this is not that the Catholic Church was raping and tormenting generations of children in Pennsylvania in the 1960s through 1990s.

Why should Pennsylvania, during a particular few decades, be in any way an outlier? The upshot is that the Catholic Church, at least since the 1563, has been systematically raping and tormenting generations of children all over the Earth. (I’m going with the 1500s since that was when they banned marriage in the clergy; but really, given the hermetic and obsessively self-preserving nature of the Church, it could easily have been since the origin of the Church itself. We can never know.) What is truly astounding is just how effectively the Church has kept this secret, given how massive and chronic their corruption has been.

15 Likes

But but, #notallcatholics!!

4 Likes

“His critics have also consistently refused to mention his positive contributions to the economy. Weapon and armor producers have reported increased orders for most of the decade. Surviving physicians and other healers are enjoying a robust quarter, and report they can not keep up with the requests for their services. While farmers in the direct path of the hordes have reported a decline, as well as rape, castration, maiming and pillaging, those farmers who have been careful to avoid these fates are able to demand record prices for crops, due to the famine necessitated by the most recent campaigns.”

3 Likes

To be fair, primarily the clergy.

4 Likes