Cats with human jobs

Originally published at: Cats with human jobs | Boing Boing

10 Likes

A couple of those stories make me think that cleaners/janitors are the patron saint of stray cats. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

12 Likes

Unmentioned, but equally cool are the cats of Japan. Tama held the position as station master.
Tama (cat) - Wikipedia
Zack Davisson authored a neat book, Kaibyo, The Supernatural Cats of Japan, which describes the varied, real (Station Master!) and mythological roles, of our feline friends in Japan. He was featured in a fun, virtual talk on Atlas Obscura last year.

5 Likes

4 Likes

I’m pre-furring to think this cat found themselves in an “American Beauty” situation rather than that they were forced to drop out of Highschool and this was all they could find. :wink:

5 Likes

I’m thinking “does McD’s make tiny hats and microphones for some reason?”

2 Likes

17 Likes

We have four cats, with a fifth apprenticing along the property line the past few weeks. Yet we have a persistent rodent problem in the barn and the coop. Those bastards will deliver fractions of rabbits and squirrels on random mornings like it’s their job, but mice and rats are just right the hell out. I guess it’s a union thing.

My cat, however, is by far the best trained. (Like, for realz; good rules following, half a dozen voice commands, etc.) When I tell him to come outside with me, he usually does. Unless the weather sucks, in which case he declines, often vocally. But when he does, and I go from “Yahweh, come outside” to “Yahweh, come be a barn cat” he somehow understands that “barn cat” trumps “outside” and reluctantly follows anyway. But does my obedient barn cat ever actually play the role of a barn cat? Sadly, no.

8 Likes

Yahweh? Interesting name.

4 Likes

Sometimes I see code that looks like a cat wrote it. Or a clowder.

2 Likes

Obviously you’ll have to demonstrate what being a barn cat entails. Training for hands-on types of jobs works best when practical demonstrations are part of the training. So, catch a couple of rodents and bite their heads off!

3 Likes

My cat creates work for me, which is a job usually reserved for other humans. :grimacing:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.