CBS: Stephen Colbert Will Take Over Letterman’s ‘Late Show’

I didn’t actually watch the video. I saw the “Short Round” bit in the title and decided that whether or not it might constitute satire in some sense, it’s probably not the sort of satire that I would enjoy.

“Asians all look alike” just isn’t good or funny satire from my perspective. I’m sorry I don’t find all the same things funny as you. Maybe someday I’ll get hit hard enough on the head that we can enjoy the same videos.

4 Likes

Now you done gone done it… I have to watch some Strangers… now.

Nor from mine. It’s like hipster racism. Signalling you’re being ironic while you recirculate racist (or sexist) stereotypes still recirculates racist and sexist stereotypes. In stings a lot of its targets too.

Patronizingly pointing out that “it’s satire, duh!” doesn’t help either – OF COURSE Suey Park knows Colbert’s schtick is satiric (not that you, wysinwyg, seem to think otherwise).

2 Likes

I saw the “Short Round” bit in the title and jumped to conclusions even though the topic at hand included satire and is several steps removed from anything that matters except for a professional victim to get 15 minutes of fame by trying to take down an innocent man when he was already making people aware of the ridiculous racism that is the name of a football team which is much smaller issue than any of this merits.

“I feel like it’s incredibly patronizing for you to paint these questions this way, especially as a white man*. I don’t expect you to be able to understand what people of color are actually seeing with regard to #CancelColbert. He has a history of making jokes…”

nope no racism there nothing to see here.

Pissing off O’reilly has likely been a continual perk to his job, not something that gets him to stop. From interviews of Colbert, it’s seems like it’s been draining to be in character for years.

3 Likes

Man, I loved when he was the replacement. For like half a second, I was envisioning the episode of Larry Sanders where Hank took over for Larry and killed the first night, then bombed. God that show was amazing.
Anyway, Oliver killed the WHOLE time IMO. He was way more confrontational and hard-edged than Stewart and in the best way possible.
I don’t know his background, but he came across as someone from the working class that knew his shit and didn’t genuflect to his masters. Not that Stewart does, but there are times I have been disappointed in him being too considerate. Like when he had that fuck Eric Prince on for an interview. That guy is a genuine piece of shit and should have been treated like one.

5 Likes

Settle down, sport. Why would I watch a 2 minute hate 12 minute video criticizing someone who I’ve never heard of before and whose opinion I don’t care about? Seems to me you’re the one giving this Park woman her 15 minutes of fame by, ya know, paying attention to her in the first place. Why is my opinion on this such a big deal to you? Are you so insecure that you need me to reassure you that your opinions on this are correct?

Calling Asians “Short Round” is an incredibly weak joke that I took as indicative of the quality of the “satire” in the video. If the creator of the video didn’t want me to jump to conclusions like that he (I’m just guessing – it was a guy, right?) should have used a better title.

nope no racism there nothing to see here.

Please quote the thing I said that this is a response to.

1 Like

Inevitably for a British comedian, Cambridge educated, was in Footlights.

2 Likes

I must have missed that part of his career entirely. Can you provide any citations?

My thoughts exactly. What if Colbert one-ups Colbert? Comes up with some other format or cast of alter-egos that nobody ever thought of? I’m not going to write him off yet. The man is immensely talented.

I’m SURE the negotiations went just like this:

Producer: “So, Stephen, we want you to take over for Dave next year.”
Colbert: “Uh, do I get to tell jokes and spoof people and stuff like on the Colbert Report?”
Producer: “Errrrh, nooo. Same format. Just take over for him. Paul’s band will still be there next to you. Paul’s retiring too, but we’re keeping the music. Same format, same everything.”
Colbert: “So, uh, no funny stuff?”
Producer: “Nope, the SAME funny stuff. Still interested? Want the job?”
Colbert: “OK, sure. Why not.”

4 Likes

What, you mean free ignorant publicity? I would love if they’d invite her to the show :slight_smile:

On second thought, it wouldn’t be nice to bring her in and face her off against Stephen. It’d be like throwing a toddler into the ring with Anderson Silva. I don’t really want to see that, though I guess he could be gentle.

1 Like

I don’t think the conservative wingnuts will stop feeding him such good material for quite some time…

5 Likes

So it’s racist to point out that white men tend to have a perspective shaped by their being white men? They’re not the objective, free-floating, all-understanding eyeballs they tend to think they are.

2 Likes

I guess it’s all a matter of opinion, but I agree, Leno used to be a really good stand up comedian. I remember him going on Letterman back in the 80’s and he was 180 degrees from what he is now.
I don’t know how old you are, but if you weren’t up and watching late night TV 30 years ago, you would have missed it.

They’re not the objective, free-floating, all-understanding eyeballs they tend to think they are.

And yet a belief in oneself as an objective, free-floating, all understanding eyeball is the essence of so many comedic acts.

4 Likes

i’m really surprised by this. when the rumors surfaced, i thought for sure that colbert would never want to get under the yoke of network tv. he’s got a very comfortable spot right now… money couldn’t be the entire carrot going on here… i wonder what the attraction is.

I was alive. I just don’t ever remember “Leno” and “edgy.” Carlin? Sure. Bill Hicks? Certainly. Hedberg? I’ll get on board with that. Prior? Oh yeah. Bob Saget? Definitely edgy before taking the big money.

Thankfully we have video of Leno pre-Tonight Show. Watch it again and really let me know if this is edgy to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XMiEUR3XnQ

I like his part about taking an airplane. Really brought truth to the masses.

While in character, he’s gone out of his way to make quite a few “tranny” jokes that, IMHO, felt less like lampooning transphobia and more like “transpeople are weird and gross” was the entire gag. Quite a lot of fans have been unhappy about it and, IIRC, in his IRL persona he’s been pointedly silent about it while advocating for gay/lesbian rights.

On the other hand, while Googling just now I read about a show from two months ago where he directly satirized media transphobes and interviewed a trans activist, so hopefully he’s turning around a bit.

2 Likes

How do you satirize close minded bigoted idiots without aping that attitude? He always manages to make the character seem absolutely clueless. That is the point, No? Some people will miss the joke. That is why it is risky humor.

8 Likes

I don’t think you are understanding Stephen Colbert or what he is doing with his character.

7 Likes