Celebrate Star Trek’s 50th anniversary by revisiting Deep Space Nine

DS9 - best Trek series ever.
Garak - best Trek character ever.
In The Pale Moonlight - best Trek episode ever.

(steps down from soapbox, trips, falls flat on face, breaking glasses)

15 Likes

Yes! I love that episode for that!

Also, Torchwood is set in Wales (except for the last series, which was set in America).

4 Likes

9 Likes

Enterprise.
Wesley Crusher.
Threshold.

*ducks the rotten tomatoes being thrown*

Seriously, though:
DS9
Sisko/Benny
By Inferno’s Light

6 Likes

Space Whale

And wow! Hey! What’s this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like … ow … ound … round … ground! That’s it! That’s a good name – ground!

I wonder if it will be friends with me?

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.

8 Likes

That is an excellent episode, for sure. One of the best, if not the best.

Another thing I love about DS9 is that characters like Garak and Dukat get full development despite not being casted characters. Both Andrew Robinson and Marc Alaimo are excellent in their roles! And Jeffery Combs, too!

I could do without Brunt, but he was fantastic as Weyoun… or Weyouns, rather.

7 Likes

Ooh… any audience recordings of that? I looked but couldn’t find any.

Superb recurring character. I’m sure i read somewhere they retconned the vorta to be clones just so they could keep bringing him back. He also brought a bit of class to the crappy Enterprise (mostly) as an andorian.

5 Likes

I’ve seen it twice. The actors have always asked that this performance not be recorded.

2 Likes

Awww shame but fair enough. I can imagine it working very effectively just those two on stage having an in-character chinwag.

2 Likes

We’re nearly done rewatching DS9 (and are part way through Voyager) so Enterprise is next… when it originally aired, I think my husband and I got maybe… a half season in before we abandoned ship… but I think we’re going to make a go of it soon.

But Jeffery Combs is always excellent. He’s great as a sociopath especially (Reanimator, obvs). But he was great in the 4400!

4 Likes

His run as the fed in The Frighteners is also wonderful.

3 Likes

Sadly, it also features Sylvester McCoy.

3 Likes

If you do crave more Garak/Bashir, I suggest reading the novel “A Stitch in Time” (written by Andrew Robinson himself) It’s backstory and history all about Garak with a framing device of letters to Bashir from Garak. It’s one of the few novels I consider actually canon.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Say no more. TNG’s first two seasons were seriously short on good, rewatchable episodes and loaded with embarrassing drivel. I suspect a lot of those episodes were not only budget-driven, but based on spec scripts left over from the 60s that couldn’t even make the cut for the legendarily goofy TOS S3. The serious under-use of Denise Crosby, leading to her prematurely wanting out, also hurt early TNG badly, in my opinion.

Elsewhere you mention you’re going to try Enterprise again. Good luck. It is highly uneven and makes little or no sense as a prequel to TOS, but it did eventually find its footing. The back half of it was pretty good, as I recall, but you will have to slog through some pretty terrible stuff to get there. It’s also odd in that one, but only one, season is fully serialized. I remember enjoying that season quite a lot. (Edit: despite its obvious, often on-the-nose topicality for 2003.)

5 Likes

Ahh yes, i am aware of that but haven’t read it. Trek novels have kinda passed me by but i’ll have to check this out.

1 Like

This is worth watching about that period of time:

It argues that a power struggle between an ailing Roddenberry and the rest of the production team led to the first 2 seasons having real problems hitting a stride.

6 Likes

Why do you feel the need to start a fight? Both DS9 and TNG are equally inferior to Babylon 5.

5 Likes

I can think of three Beverly episodes. No, I just remembered a fourth fifth. Not counting that episode for Picard/Crusher shippers (insufficient!). The Host, Transfigurations, Sub Rosa, Suspicions, and Remember Me.

Three of them were romantic-interest-of-the-week episodes. Boo to all the things. Remember Me was nearly forgettable. Suspicions is a really good episode.

I’m told the writers were ordered to stop giving them scenes together because both actors agreed their characters had a thing and Someone wasn’t ready to have two guys romantically involved on screen. But, my dear doctor, what would be the fun in that? *wink*

One of my favorite things about Enterprise is how much Jeffery is in it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes