CEOs are lucky, tall men

[Read the post]

Invader Zim approves.

4 Likes

“Chance? You think I was BORN 6’-3”? No sir, I had to WORK my way up from 21 inches and 8 pounds, six ounces."

28 Likes

They have CEOs in Sweden? I though it was just gulags and breadlines.

7 Likes

It’s also important that society thinks you look the part.

I always thought that alone accounted for Mitt Romney getting as far as he did politically.

8 Likes

Wasn’t that also shown to be the case with presidents? (Or possibly UK Prime Ministers).

I’m sure I remember reading that the taller candidate was much more likely to win.

Obligatory crosslink:

2 Likes

If Bernie Sanders had that kind of hair he would have won over half the Republican base by now.

7 Likes

Bernie would need some major smarm booster shots…

1 Like

A common mis-translation. The proper term is “commissars”.

2 Likes

Lucky Tall White Penis ought to be some kind of Chinese manufacturing concern.

3 Likes

Yes, luck is important for any performer at the extremes. Have an off day? no olympic gold medal for you.

So let’s put “luck” in context.

“Luck happens to the well-prepared.” – Robert Heinlein.

Heinlien was riffing on Seneca, “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity” and Pasteur, “Fortune favors the prepared mind.”

Yes, any CEO / Programmer / VC / BoingBoing editor who thinks their success is solely due to force of their own will needs to be chided: luck matters.

But luck is but one element. Luck has played a role in my own professional success ( and failure), but all the luck in the world wouldn’t turn me in to a CEO.

Luck is the only way it could happen to me, and it would take just about all the luck in the world.

I have all the executive talent of Daffy Duck.

4 Likes

It wasn’t just that. The candidate who was perceived as taller would tend to win, and each set of supporters would see their man as taller…

Democracy in action.

1 Like

Wow.

Sometimes I’m amazed we’ve made it as far as we have.

1 Like

Sometimes they just use boosters.

1 Like

I can see that getting out of hand:

8 Likes

IIRC David Steel blamed Spitting Image for ruining the electoral chances of the Liberal Party (snort) by portraying him as tiny when he was actually marginally taller than Labour’s Neil Kinnock.

1 Like

In the pocket of David Owen…

3 Likes

Har de har, but seriously, I went to a cultural event held by the local Swedish Embassy a few years ago. They had swag bags and advertising for all the Swedish companies selling stuff in Canada and the US, and I was surprised by how many brand names I recognised. The list was a lot longer than just IKEA and Volvo. I mean yes, they’re a major industrial power, but I didn’t realise how much of it was end-consumer.

I think I still have a Frisbee with a Volvo logo on it somewhere…