Changing a 35 MPH traffic sign to 85 MPH with a piece of tape causes Tesla to drive 85 MPH

I wonder what their stock runs at now.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/tesla-ordered-to-stop-work-on-german-plant-over-tree-clearing/ar-BB105MW5

1 Like

You’re going to see that their autopilot is seriously shit?

2 Likes

I was thinking the same. Database is the first choice, sign is a cut-over/fail safe to ensure there isn’t something drastically different. The reality is most posted differences will overwhelmingly be to go slower.

In fact, that should be what it does exactly read one and the other and chose the slower speed as the expected.

3 Likes

sign-not-in-use

17 Likes

"Changing a 35 MPH traffic sign to 85 MPH with a piece of tape causes human to drive 85 MPH" ?

I wonder what other adversarial attacks they are vulnerable to?

1 Like

“catch Tesla for 10 years” at what though? Are they talking about self driving, or at producing inexpensive batteries at scale?

Also the self driving system with this flaw is the one Tesla was purchasing from another company, GM can catch up with Tesla’s 2016 self driving in the time it takes to write a check. I don’t know if Tesla’s new self driving system is dramatically better (I mean it doesn’t have this particular flaw, but that doesn’t really tell us if it has fewer or more flaws), but it is done in house so it is harder to “catch up” then just writing a check.

So that article could still be right. I kind of think it isn’t talking about self driving though, that is a market with a bunch of players. I expect if Tesla has a significant lead in any vital tech it is actually batteries. How to make them, and how to wear them out less. Ten years might be a stretch, I mean they have been working on it longer then say GM and Ford, but GM and Ford have bigger R&D budgets, and they have the advantage of knowing what Tesla has tried already (although at least some of what Tesla has done remains secret, and some is patented). Plus for all we know some major new battery innovation is just around the corner and will reset everyone to the same point…

1 Like

Doesn’t the car send all kinds of data back to the company too? Isn’t that part of the agreement owners accept.

You would think, they would use this data to update the database. Add a little QA to the process, and they’ve got cars driving all over all the time providing data updates.

A road near us reduced it’s speed limit recently, and Waze/Google Maps had the update immediately. My built in nav, that I refuse to pay for updates, will gladly let me speed without showing a warning on this road now.

2 Likes

~$877 as of 12:52 EST. Bought some at ~$390 in December, so good for me!

1 Like

You don’t make millions of dollars by not disrupting the concept of fail-safe engineering, apparently.

This is just baffling to me. I get the need to recognize speed limit signs so the autopilot can adapt to things like road construction and such, where speed limits are lower than what’s officially posted. However, I can’t think of a single situation where a posted speed limit has been temporarily modified upward (especially by 50 MPH) outside of a permanent process that would be reflected in a database change.

3 Likes

Hence “I gotta say, this feud with Tesla has gotten weird at this point.” and adding “That’s Boing Boing’s job.” to a statement made by McAfee.

2 Likes

A human who drives 50 miles over the speed limit (intentionally or otherwise) does not belong on the road either.

7 Likes

4 Likes

1.21 gigawatts? From a Tesla battery? No way.

3 Likes

Relatively few humans would fall for that. Especially when they didn’t even turn the “3” into an “8”, they just elongated the middle stroke in the “3.”

4 Likes

Not to mention the entire reason we’re being sold this janky bill of goods in the first place is because autonomous cars are supposed to be better at driving than shitty humans are. Turns out the real world is a lot more complicated than the test track.

3 Likes

The Tesla has always been an edgy car from a very edgy guy.

If the lidar / camera can see that far.

1 Like

The maximum speed limit is set by law in states. The only place where this is even a possible speed limit is one small-ish stretch of road in rural Texas; I’m pretty sure “there’s a unique speed limit constrained to these 40 miles of this one road” would be a valid reason to refuse to enable autopilot there. It shows that they’re not even doing basic sanity checking of like “Is this even a valid speed limit within this state?”

3 Likes

They have done massive amounts of testing outside test environments. Active attacks against the software is a never ending battle and will never be resolved, as we all know all too well. This is merely a juicy piece because it is easy to understand and plays nicely to the readers here at BB where Elon Musk is a paradox. Filthy Rich (bad), Builds autonomous cars, builds spaceships, and is irreverently beating the establishment in most industries (good).

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that the BBS corrected on that part when he had a pissbaby tantrum when the rescue diver told him that his tiny submarines wouldn’t save the kids in thailand and called the said diver a pedophile :slight_smile:

1 Like