Man's Tesla froze while speeding down highway at 83 mph

Originally published at: Man's Tesla froze while speeding down highway at 83 mph | Boing Boing

11 Likes

Pshaw, just hit ctrl-alt-del, reboot, and keep on going.

18 Likes

But Elon’s a GENIUS and Tesla is the best EV EVAH!!! /s

35 Likes

Apparently the category of “on-board components” worthy of protection does not include humans.

32 Likes

Cntrl, Alt, Delete worked again.

10 Likes

In a nearby Dr Beschizza post folks were seeking a non-“smart” TV, mean-while stories like this one suggest that we’re over smarting our cars. And/or “What distracted driving!? I was just attending to the computer screen in the middle here”. Next up: Can it be a proper ‘emergency brake’ if it requires power? Oh for the days of a handle connected to a cable connected to the brakes.

15 Likes

tumblr_46ed31418a049aff40fca0384b6f23eb_8ab11ad5_500

13 Likes

Diagnosed and found poor communication from charge port door causing power conversion system to shut off in order to protect on board components

An annoyance when it happens on your phone or laptop but a lot scarier when hurtling down the road at 85mph in 475 lbs of car

13 Likes

where in california is it legal to drive on a public road at 83 miles per hour while operating a mobile phone (not calling law enforcement)?

9 Likes

I’m driving a 1995 Corolla now. I love the idea of all the modern electronic safety features on newer cars and the fuel efficiency of hybrid/electric stuff. But I’m a little afraid when I eventually get a newer car that I’m gonna be surrendering the ability to get things fixed cheap and easily or even fix stuff myself like I often can now. I got a small taste of that actually when I had an electrical problem with my speedometer and the electronic testers for my car (I’m not super into this stuff. I don’t know what it’s called) are so old no auto shop around me had them anymore. It was an ordeal to figure out what the problem was.

10 Likes

It’s not clear whether maintaining that speed was ever voluntary on the part of the driver (I’m guessing it was not). He also seems to be using the phone not for recreation but to document what was happening.

11 Likes

Legal, no, but it seems like pretty much everyone does it when the traffic is clear enough to allow those speeds. I live in Los Angeles, and I’ll often go 10pm over the speed limit and everyone will be passing me. That’s just how it goes… hopefully most people aren’t looking at their phones while doing that, but I bet a lot of people are…

8 Likes

Granted: Musk has taken residence up his own rectum and Tesla has significant and meaningful quality issues, including those related to safety issues and not-actual-self-driving.

HOWEVER, you have to remember that ICE cars fail at highway speeds all the time. I see them on the side of the road about every 10-15 miles of highway driving. They are man-made technology consisting of a fantastically complex engine and which of the many hundreds of parts including an onboard computer that’s also capable of shutting down the engine. We can’t over exaggerate the dangers of new technology just because we have become accustomed to the dangers of existing technology.

At least modern cars are receiving software upgrades and bug fixes. I’ve never received a software upgrade since birth, and as I age, my performance is dropping noticeably and my hardware is increasingly unreliable.

11 Likes

The brakes worked! The steering worked! What’s he griping about? I’ve had my (very very old) car fail several times wherein the brakes didn’t work. The only thing that stopped the car was an incline.

I’m glad that this Tesla has real brakes and a real steering wheel.

13 Likes

My first car was a 71 beetle. That car felt like it had seven parts, and most of them came off with just a couple of bolts.

8 Likes

Not like this.

I had an engine throw a rod once, it was a pretty spectacular and noisy mechanical failure that basically rendered the car worthless. Yet I was still able to use my turn signals and pull over safely because all the critical components of my car weren’t hopelessly interconnected.

A single electronic failure shouldn’t take out so many critical systems at once. Hell, if Elon had his way drivers wouldn’t even be able to check their rear-view mirrors in the event of an electronic failure.

17 Likes

We’ll see how much longer that lasts…

13 Likes

I’m on the freeway … at 83 miles an hour …

There’s your primary safety issue, especially for others on the road.

7 Likes

This is obviously a failed assassination attempt via remote vehicle hacking. Probably an NSA-mandated backdoor.

4 Likes

Maybe I’m just ignorant, but don’t electric vehicles still have emergency brakes?

Back in the day when people were accusing Toyota they their Priuses we’re accelerating out of control (Prius Sudden Acceleration: Much Ado About Nothing? and Gov't Can't Explain Runaway Toyota | Manufacturing.net and NHTSA Blames Driver Error For Toyota Unintended Acceleration - The Truth About Cars) one thing that would have worked was to pull the e-brake.

If that doesn’t work, maybe some drivers/cars need a big, red panic button? This Is The Solution To All Unintended Acceleration Issues

2 Likes