Charity auction of Andy Warhol's Polaroid photos and snapshots to benefit artists

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/29/charity-auction-of-andy-warhol.html

2 Likes

Interesting that once again we see mediocre “art” promoted as something special not because of its artistic value, but because of who produced it.
Looking at these objectively, they are nothing more than a random collection of snapshots (and not very good ones) that you wouldn’t look at twice. But the cult of celebrity somehow imbues them with artistic value because they were taken by Andy Warhol.

I think Andy was all about forcing you to look at the mundane and realize there’s actual value there. I’ll admit that I wouldn’t watch the entirety of Empire (or Sleep for that matter), but by gawd I sat thru all of Chelsea Girls, headache be damned.

1 Like

ezgif.com-add-text (1)

I think Warhol was about producing the mundane and convincing people that it was art. But that doesn’t make it any less mundane.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.