Charles Manson's deeply dark and twisted interpretation of The Beatles' "White Album"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/09/charles-mansons-deeply-dark.html

1 Like

Fuck romanticising Charles Manson.

He killed so people would pay attention to him in just this way.

23 Likes

“Before Helter Skelter came along, all Charlie cared about was orgies”

As far as i know this is untrue. Perhaps he was really into taking advantage of women in his inner circle, but he always had problematic racist views. To say that it came into being when the White Album came along, or to very strongly insinuate that is misleading.

7 Likes
4 Likes

OK, I was like three when the White Album came out. But later in college, and especially as I experimented with psychedelics, I knew that the White Album was really quite something remarkable and perhaps unprecedented.

I’m not sure if I can explain it coherently enough, but once I tripped I understood that listening to the album even without drugs brought me close to that state. I don’t know why or how, but the Beatles managed to do that with the White Album.

Manson (may he burn in hell if there is one) I guess felt that too, and came to some Very Wrong Ideas as a result. But regardless, the White Album still has a power to bring me back into some of the states I experienced later under lsd.

For any of you who haven’t tripped (and I don’t know if you will get anything from this), one of the realizations I had was that all of us humans are tripping all the time. Psychedelics just take you a step back from that so you can see it. The second thing is, the truest quote I know about such things is from Janis Joplin - “…as we discovered in the train, tomorrow never happens, man. It’s all the same fucking day, man.”

Timothy Leary’s writings told me how liberating that can be. Manson’s ravings told me how fucked up that can be. I experimented myself, and was pissed at Leary because I didn’t see God, but thankfully I didn’t get anywhere near the truly evil places Manson got.

Un-wiring the basic social construct of reality does give one the opportunity to re-wire things based on one’s fundamental nature, perhaps (if there is such a thing as one’s fundamental nature). And perhaps even get a reset on that basic nature, I don’t know. But in Manson’s case I think it just reinforced a very, very twisted weltanschauung. I’ll say it again, I dunno.

Y’all go read a bunch of Robert Anton Wilson and ponder this, and lemme know what you think.

4 Likes
6 Likes

Oh, and Manson was just a sick racist asshole.

4 Likes

Rochester: we’re putting in a mini golf course so that people can learn about bridges.

Norwich: “hold my beer.”

5 Likes

Agreed. I suggest that @pesco please take down that picture above the article. This story is already horrible enough, that this murderer should be forgotten.

2 Likes

I’ll second that.

1 Like

The best thing that can be said about Charlie is that he’s dead.

7 Likes

There’s a great clip in the Neil Young documentary “Don’t Be Denied” where Young talks about Manson, who he knew as a squatter/neighbour in Laurel Canyon. Worth the listen.

11 Likes

pretty much the entire Laurel Canyon scene was cool with him… until they weren’t.

1 Like

You really should look at “Programming and Metaprogramming in the Human Biocomputer: Theory and Experimants” by John C. Lilly who did quite a bit of research into LSD. Oddly, he also studied dolphins and was, in fact, the consultant for ‘Flipper’, both the movie and the TV show.

Pretty much this. Manson was for a long time this far out crazy hippie with tons of drugs and a harem of young women that he was happy to share. He and Beach Boy Dennis Wilson were pals, up until Manson beat the shit out of him and threatened to murder him and his family. Wilson also introduced Manson to producer Terry Melcher. Melcher owned the infamous Cielo Drive house.

It’s said that the whole Manson incident was what contributed to Wilson’s ever escalating substance abuse and eventual death.

Anyway, fuck Charles Manson.

4 Likes

The savagery of the Manson cult was the canary in the coal mine on not just the dead-end Sixties debauch, but American celebrity culture in general. 50 years later and the cult of celebrity is alive and well and has elected its’ second President.

1 Like

Why do reporter regurgitate the same Crap. Check out Brand new book Hippie Cult Leader, The Last Words of Charles Manson for the real truth behind the murders and the Helter Skelter Mythology.

The day that etched Charles Manson into the mind of the world’s collective consciousness was Friday, August 8th, 1969. That was the fateful weekend when Manson’s alleged cult named the “Manson Family” slaughtered seven people. It wasn’t the first time the group had committed murder, nor would it be the last, but the events of that weekend are why Charlie Manson will be remembered as the devil incarnate. A real-life boogeyman capable of untold evil. A maniacal puppet master who carved a swastika in his head with a razor blade.

Ironically, the first murder of Manson’s infamous crime spree was one of poor timing. Steven Parent was an eighteen-year-old California native whose freshman yearbook photo looks remarkably like Buddy Holly. The oldest of five, Steven was raised in El Monte, a city east of Los Angeles. His family was working class and being the eldest, Steven was ambitious. His father had nurtured Steve’s love of electronics and by the summer of 1969, Steven was working two jobs with plans to attend community college in the fall. On the evening of August 8th, just after 11:00 pm, Steven had closed up shop at his second job at Jonas Miller Stereo and driven through Los Angeles to visit an acquaintance who lived in a guest house at the far end of a secluded property in Beverly Hills.

The property was located at 10050 Cielo Drive. It was where Roman Polanski and Sharon Tate now lived. A place that was previously the home of music and Beach Boys promoter, Terry Melcher who was dating Candice Bergen at the time. Manson was introduced to Melcher, but Melcher crossed him.

For 50 years the legendary Manson Family Murders have fascinated and mortified all. No one could understand why such brutal acts of cold-blooded murder could have taken place in Hollywood and that women played a key role. Manson was an enigmatic drifter who could draw in a group of people into his web of deceit and evil that eventually led to the brutal Tate and then Labianca murders. The prosecution would go on to spin what was considered the de-facto theory behind the murder spree and the world bought into the “Helter Skelter” conspiracy. They needed a way to convict Manson for murder even though they had no evidence against him for the murders.

Now for the first time Documentary film producer and author James Buddy Day takes readers through a more rational and believable set of reasons for the murders. In 2017 Buddy Day produced the award-winning Documentary The Final Words which brought together some of the true motivations of Manson and his followers. With first account interviews it becomes apparent that revenge while making others complicit and freeing a brother are more likely to have been the motives behind the murders.

The myth behind “A Race War” as forwarded by Bugliosi the prosecuting attorney and originator of the now famous book “Helter Skelter” was hatched well before the trial was set to take place. Just why did the lead prosecutor higher an author to write a book about the trial and what does that say about getting a fair trial based on the facts of the case in the American justice system? Apparently not much.

James Buddy Day is the last author to have interviewed Charles Manson to get his perspective on what the prosecution and his conviction for murder was when he was forty miles away when both acts were committed. With over 8 hours of interviews with Manson you get an in-depth perspective on who really was Charles Manson the most famous convicted mass murderer of all time. Did he stand for anything or was he just a cold and heartless person who had spent his entire life in the prison system? The answers will shock you.

This book will appeal to readers searching for facts and truths about the most iconic mass murder of the 20th century. You will get to know Manson through the pages of Day’s book. Descriptions and interviews are graphic, and some material may not be suitable for young readers.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.