Charles Schulz's 1970 letter to a schoolchild describes the fake patriotism of today's MAGA movement

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/07/charles-schulzs-1970-letter-to-a-schoolchild-describes-the-fake-patriotism-of-todays-maga-movement.html

16 Likes

Chuck was alright.

41 Likes

My family participates in some of our city’s annual Memorial Day ceremonies. They are somber and respectful affairs at the local cemetery and the plaza in front of our City Hall, organized by local veterans’ groups and involving several speeches by city and county leaders reflecting on their service and how the loss of their fellow service members impacted them.

Without fail, there are always a bunch of performative “patriots” on the local social media groups complaining that the city didn’t host a big celebratory parade or line Main Street with American flags like they do for the 4th of July celebrations. Of course, none of these people actually bother to come to the memorial ceremonies. To those people the actual purpose of the holiday is immaterial, the only thing that matters is how hard everyone waves the flag.

26 Likes

Probably they will cry Peanuts is woke and their childhood is ruined.

22 Likes

Have these people not read the Bible? I think if they open their minds a little, they can benefit from the teachings of Jesus Christ. Please send missionaries to their land to teach Christian values!

15 Likes

Some people have been complaining about Peanuts going woke since at least 1968.

24 Likes

Speaking of fake virtues, The Federalist went after living American treasure Dolly Parton and got hammered for it. Love, decency and humanity to the rescue!

20 Likes

I’m fairly sure Chuck was referring to Richard M. Nixon’s administration with this letter. In tricky Dicky’s favor though, it was he that established the EPA and signed the Clean Air and Clean Water acts into law. These are the very acts that are under attack by Republicans in congress over 50 years later because Muh Freedums.

15 Likes

Thank you, Mr. Schultz. Grazie,

7 Likes

I mean…these are the people who literally called Mister Rogers “an evil, evil man” for telling children that they’re unique and special.

22 Likes

Maybe they’ve attacked her before and it’s simply gone unnoticed but Dolly Parton has a really long history of support for LGBTQ people. Still it seems likely they’re just looking to provoke reactions now.

In 2005, Dolly recorded “Travelin’ Thru” for the film Transamerica, a road trip film about a trans woman’s experience with a soundtrack heavily featuring genres from the American South: bluegrass, country and americana. “Travelin’ Thru” is arguably the strongest example of Dolly using country music traditions and her Christian faith to express LGBTQ acceptance.

Source (and a lot more about Dolly’s support)

14 Likes

Bigots of all stripes really hate this stuff.

21 Likes

They don’t so much read the Bible as much as quote mine it for stuff to justify malice towards others.

15 Likes

It’s also worth remembering in this context that Charles M. Schulz was politically on the conservative side. Among other things he was a good friend of Ronald Reagan’s. While he managed to keep overt politics out of Peanuts, contrary to public belief the comic strip is still full of astute political commentary on many issues like feminism, racial integration, or the Vietnam War.

Charlie Brown’s America by Blake Scott Ball is a very interesting discussion of “the popular politics of Peanuts” throughout the Cold War and beyond. Well worth reading.

13 Likes

They Don’t Believe in what the Bible says, they only believe in what they can make it say by picking and choosing Lines to get the answer they want

they TRULY Believe it is simply a Tool to use to get what they want, and when that doesn’t work they Blame the entire World for Not making believe with them and letting them get their way

They ARE the Lost that Abraham spoke and there is absolutely noting that can be done with of for them, as God told Abraham, they are not Man and He has No Use for them, and Jesus did Reiterate that point when He Told His followers to give up the Laws of David and Moses and follow the Laws of Abraham!

8 Likes

I’m wondering Why you Choose to Capitalize like tHat?

13 Likes

It iS onE of The comMandmentS fRom The Lost tabLet!

history of the world moses GIF

14 Likes

11 Likes

Sir, this is a Waffle House…

Fight Club GIF

12 Likes

ezgif-3-45a4e56abafa

(Just kidding! :rofl: I couldn’t resist a chance to use that gif, it’s a good one. :joy: :rofl: :joy:)

11 Likes