Charlie Brown, 1958 misogynist

From what I understand, Charles Schultz actually struggled with depression much of his life, so it’s probably not too surprising.

Don’t break your arm, patting yourself on the back for judging something from 1958 with today’s standards. Good grief.

7 Likes

21 Likes

2 Likes

11 Likes

2 Likes

Some people cannot take a joke.

Sometimes all you got is your imaginary air force.
Use it or lose it.

5 Likes

Because when I think of someone who’s unambiguously benefited from the patriarchy, it’s Charlie Brown who springs to mind?

8 Likes

Violet seems to have some of her own issues:

7 Likes

Lucy is really the only mentally healthy one.

Such bravery, such ferocity, such pride. Thank you, Lucy, for showing me my life’s mission!

7 Likes

Oh, Sparky. We still love you though…

1 Like

In Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land the alienated hero Mike from Mars has an epiphany at the zoo. He watches a bigger monkey steal food from a smaller monkey, and then the smaller monkey goes and beats up an even smaller monkey to make itself feel better. Mike watches this and bursts out laughing. He says

Lesson: The essence of really hilarious humor is sadism and misfortune.

Of course, Heinlein had his own issues, so the lesson is debatable…

3 Likes

Haven’t read the thread yet, but I hope someone’s pointed out by now that this strip doesn’t actually mean Charlie’s a misogynist: Charlie could simply be pointing out the social realities of 1958.

Still, judging by the expression on Violet’s face, it kinda looks like Charles Schultz was a misogynist.

The question is if he started that way, or ended that way based on how they keep handling him.

I say he’s pointing out the social realities of kids in any era- they are quite often completely horrible to each other, and use whatever tools are most obviously handy to commit their emotional violence.

(whoops, posted as reply to wrong person)

6 Likes

Well, yeah, but the comment would be almost meaningless in a society with no arbitrary costs of being female.

How who kept handling him? Women?

I think it’s possible that we’re overlooking the real villain here…

8 Likes

10 Likes

Perfect reaction gif. I award you all my internet points for the day.

1 Like