Charlie Brown, 1958 misogynist

9 Likes

I can’t stop watching that GIF, where does it come from?

I wanna say I found it on io9.com… but I don’t know the origins, which makes it all the more awesome. Isn’t it fabulous? Isn’t she all our spirit animals?

5 Likes

Woodstock always left me cold but since he was a particular favorite of Schulz, the least I could do was to read past him. There’s a poignant picture of Schulz’s drawing desk as he left it, shortly before his death. The ink on the nibs looks still wet, as if he’d be back the next day, as he had done virtually every day for all those decades. About the best that can be said of the dismissive OP is that it was ungallant.

In the earliest, pre-Peanuts strips, the familiar characters are much younger and more innocent children, and there’s something deeply touching in seeing them age to an older point and then become fixed forever, even as the characters became visibly care-worn. So much happened and changed around them (and in Schulz’s own life) yet, resigned as they were, they remained resolutely decent. Sc was no saint, no blameless man, but his life’s work endures as a testament to his aspiration to find value in simple, honest and innocent things. The characters and strip as a whole are . …suffused with a sadness that such a world could only survive in a pen and ink world, and even there, only by preserving his characters at an age poised on the cusp of lost innocence. By middle-age they acquired a knowingness, as if they could see beyond the cell of their frames, and feel mostly sadness.
In his latter years, when his energy, creativity and inspiration waned, Schulz remained steadfastly at his post

His belief held firm even as his artistic grip began to desert him. Where is the flaw in that?.

5 Likes

1 Like

Who else? Martians?

Well, remember the fallacy of intent – there’s a difference between portraying a wince-inducing exchange and thinking it’s cool. JK Rowling doesn’t seem to have sided with the Dursleys, even though they had the upper hand for the first chapters of the first Harry Potter book.

1 Like

I’m with you. Even after we eradicate the patriarchy, there will still be little kids going, “Ewwww, girls!” and “Ewwww, boys!” and thinking their own gender is better because reasons.

1 Like

There’s not as much need to compartmentalize my feelings about Peanuts as there is my feelings for Lovecraft.

1 Like

At least Lovecraft wrote horror, so the “other stuff” makes it extra-horrifying.

1 Like

Well, it sounds to me like you’ve described a person who refused to grow up. And one who was a bit too addicted to the puritan work ethic.

Refused to grow up? Work ethic?
Sounds like a feature, not a flaw.

It’s a real family that makes Vines:

5 Likes

Heh, she really is the star of that family. If she can hold it together, she’ll go places.

1 Like

Considering all of the adult neuroses he put into his characters, I’d hardly say he never grew up.

I agree. I was pointing out flaws I see in the person described before the question, Where’s the flaw in that?

Cooties is a perfectly valid reason to find the other gender icky. Besides isn’t like until us males are in our 30s that we finally catch up maturity wise to the females? :smile:

So you’re saying that men–or maybe only Charles Schultz-- are only misogynist because women mistreat them? I think that’s kind of BS, dude. If someone mistreats you, then the person is at fault, not their gender.

3 Likes

I wonder if they’ll be willing to hang out sometime…

In some cases it’s extra-horrifying. In some cases it’s laughable. The build-up and punchline of Medusa’s Coil, literally the last line is about how }}SPOILER{{ the monstrous character was a “negress” (and passing as white).