Charlie Brown, 1958 misogynist

And it was after a long sequence of her being mean and Charlie mostly just taking it.

Here is the context:

14 Likes

So essentially, Charlie Brown appreciates his dad for the relationship he has with him, not because he’s objectively better than other dads. That fits CB’s character and the ethos of the series much better than “boys>girls”.

3 Likes

That is awesome, thanks!

1 Like

He clearly had a better dad than Linus and Lucy did.

5 Likes

I considered that, and the reaction seems a bit strong… it’s not like a privileged white girl can’t possibly expect a better life than Charlie Brown’s, even in 1958.

On that note, Brown and Schroder’s bickering about Crockett and Beethoven springs to mind.

(Late. Forgot about the thread.)

Depends. Some start that way for whatever reason, some develop that trait based on how they are handled. It’s also the entire spectrum, from mild grumbling that doesn’t even really deserve to be lumped with the latter in the same term to murderous hate.

Depends on the interpretation.

In principle, that is true. In practice the brain tends to do statistical clustering, usually biased by the severity of the experience (repeated rejection can be a rather rough ride, social pain shares circuitry with physical one (yes, painkillers work on social stuff too, somewhat), many a physical injury hurts less than a psychological one) and many other cognitive biases, with predictable results. Raw logic can do only so much to attenuate it, and many don’t apply it at all. It is unfair. But it is also common, with all sorts of variables, not just gender.

Oh well…

8 minutes to go, so I’m finally coming in that I always interpreted CB’s response as an assertion of “he’s my dad - isn’t that enough?” Which is how he pretty much approached his barber-dad throughout the run of the strip. His dad was nothing fancy, couldn’t hold a candle to Violet’s dad - but he was CB’s dad, and that’s all that mattered to him.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.