Charlie Watts and Mick Jagger listen to Hells Angel Sony Barger defend Altamont murder

If we’re running hypothetical characterisations of the situation, here’s another:

• Black man attacked and badly beaten by multiple members of a known racist organisation.
  • Justifiably angry black man returns with a weapon.
  • Black man is killed by a group of armed, violent racists.

Should he have come back with a gun? Was it wise? Hell no.

Was he murdered? Very probably.

6 Likes

They had the knife and the numbers the first time they fought, he left alive.

You have no reasonable argument here and your hero is the kind of guy who packs heat to a free hippie concert while your villain was engaged in a literal act of self defense against someone with a firearm.

Do you know that people of color can be human beings capable of being bad people, right? That they have full and complex lives (excluding vegetables) which can mean that they can be bad and encounter another bad person in a situation that results in their reasonable demise? Because, like they are people and the things that other people do they do too. Did you know they even make non-white racists? You mostly see them overseas, but if you ever read an Indian newspaper or news blog comment section on anything relating to Pakistan, I mean it’s amazing because they have suck literate racists I’m legit jealous as an American.

/I have to say that I’m not defending the bikers, I’m defending simple reason and logic. I cannot stand biker gangs.

1 Like

I wish some of the ideas of that movement would have stayed more relevant than they have. It’s quite sad to think about what the vibe must have been back then, 13 years before I was born, and what it is now in the U.S. and all over the world.

That said, it still objectively doesn’t qualify as murder.

1 Like

I think you meant that you don’t intend to defend the bikers, but you’ve done nothing else other than insult your contemporaries over your certainty of the motives of a crime you did not witness, almost 50 years ago.

You definitely are assigning blame and fault, and swinging a shaming guilt hammer around.

But sure, it’s an academic discussion. Keep repeating that too. Not personal to you at all, nothing could be more obviously the case.

3 Likes

It seems to me that _the greater injustic_e, the one fought here today, would be you having your own opinion about it.

(that’s fairly sarcastic, and not a dig at you)

I find the ad hominem contained within this challenge of someone else’s good faith rhetoric to be, well:

Peace. Love. Music.

2 Likes

The BBC made a documentary about the daily lives of some UK Hells Angels in 1973. It’s very funny indeed:

(Adam Curtis wrote about it on his blog, too).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.