The Hells Angels have left the building

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/12/the-hells-angels-have-left-the.html

1 Like

So, neighbors from Hell. Good riddance.

Their mythology hasn’t held up well.

26 Likes

It’s ‘Hell’s Angels’ with an apostrophe. But don’t point that out to any of the members, unless you want to get pushed off a roof.

14 Likes

My brother actually lived across the street from that clubhouse for a short while about 20 years ago. As I understood it they were actually pretty mundane.

8 Likes

Time to hit the highway.

11 Likes

Q. any body know difference between a harley davidson and a vacuum cleaner?

A. the vacuum has its dirtbag on the inside.

20 Likes

If you get a chance to read Chrissie Hynde’s autobiography “Reckless: My Life as a Pretender”, she has an entire chapter dedicated to what happened to her at Hells Angels clubhouse in Cleveland. It wasn’t good, but the experience inspired her to write the song “Tattooed Love Boys”.

11 Likes

There’s a Haiku in this comment somewhere. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I lived a few doors down from their house in South Providence for a couple years. They were unobtrusive for the most part, but every once in a while they’d ride out en masse and it was awe inspiring. The whole house shook and things would fall over.

10 Likes

They’re not all bad people. But hang around with them long enough, and shit will happen. Maybe to you. Hunter S. Thompson found that out the hard way.

16 Likes

I grew up a couple of houses from a gang member, and his mom and my mom were good friends. On a couple of occasions I was being harassed by bullies, and several gang members came out and scared them off. They might have been dangerous to most people, but when I needed help they were there for me. So I totally see the safe neighborhood part of it (it was many years after I left that my mom’s house was hit by a stray bullet).

12 Likes

members of the biker gang beat him up after he tried to intercede to keep an Angel (“Junkie George”) from brutally beating his wife.

When Workman (the biker in the studio) later said, “To keep a woman in line you gotta beat ‘em like a rug once in a while,” the studio audience—the most straight-looking bunch of goobers imaginable—roared with laughter and applause.

min. 05:40:

da fucking fuck?!?

12 Likes

That’s just great. Now who’ll provide concert security at Lincoln Center?

7 Likes

Right…because it isn’t.

That mantle of both preventing and causing mayhem seems to have been taken over by the police these days. I will never forget the spectacle of thousands of Hells Angels showing up for the memorial of four cops who died in the line of duty. There is something dare I say presidential in their demeanor.

3 Likes

HOW GREAT WERE THEY

THAT SOUNDS SUPER GREAT

I WISH MY LIFE WAS GREAT LIKE THAT

THAT MAKES TOTAL SENSE AND DOES NOT CONTRADICT THE EARLIER WORDS AT ALL

24 Likes

My sister lived around the corner about a decade back. They were sort of dicks, but mostly seemed to stand around looking Hells Angelly.

Yeah and that’s sort of how they get away with their shit. Sounds nice until you’re on the receiving end of it.

My Aunt’s first husband was from a family of Gambino hangers on. When she and her infant son dared to get abandoned buy the guy, the local goombas and anyone looking to impress them “protected the neighborhood” and made it “safe” by threatening her life, chucking shit at the baby, and generally made her life hell till she left. She had to give up the apartment my great-grandmother was raised in.

That whole thing is a don’t shit where you eat thing. Schmooze the neighbors so they won’t talk to the cops. Not good people and not making anything safe or really helping anyone.

24 Likes

2 Likes

I imagine Larry Elliot answering the questions: ‘They were really great, I liked them a lot. This block was the safest around’

1 Like

“Now youze can’t leave …”