Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones drummer, RIP

Originally published at: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones drummer, RIP | Boing Boing

15 Likes

19 Likes

The best and coolest Stone IMO. Sad news.

12 Likes

Ah shit. No, no, no… ugh.

I guess part of my sadness is that he seemed like the nicest one of the whole lot.

18 Likes

RIP

9 Likes

Their concert movie from '81, Let’s Spend the Night Together, is up on Amazon Prime. Just watched it yesterday with my Mom.

8 Likes

this one hurts.

9 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

From 10 years ago

http://www.nosuchthingaswas.com/2011/11/charlie-watts-is-coolest-man-in-rock.html

The unusual bit for me:

Then there’s the fidelity to his wife, Shirley, to whom he’s been married since 1964. That is, pre-fame. I have no idea whether the stories are true about Watts’ monogamy, but I’d love it if they were.

10 Likes

A life well lived. Never showy, never called attention to himself - except with the drum kit.

Ave atque vale, Charlie.

8 Likes
10 Likes

the platonic ideal of what a rock song sounds like; pitch perfect drums:

5 Likes

Reminds me of something else to be admired. For the last forty years Charlie has dressed his age.

7 Likes

A man who decided early on that quiet elegance would be his rock star indulgence.
Never met him, wish I did.

9 Likes

He was always the coolest Stone.

2 Likes

That’s a great movie. Saw it in the theater when it came out.
RIP Charlie.
Been listening to Exile on Main Street all day in between meetings.

3 Likes

…frequently in bespoke suits which exactly matched th’ interiors of the classic cars he collected, but never drove.

3 Likes

Mr Watts was also a breeder of very fine Polish Arabian horses.

Arabian horse breeder, Rolling Stone drummer Charlie Watts dies at 80 - Horse Talk NZ

5 Likes

My dad is a couple of years older than Charlie and hanging on by a thread in palliative care… he is the bloke in the top left and Charlie is the dapper chap on the right… hoping they get to hook up soon:

10 Likes