Cheapest Michelin-star meal in the world costs a mere $1.50

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/03/cheapest-michelin-star-meal-in.html

5 Likes

The lowest plane ticket for me is about $700, still pretty high but not so insane as to disregard it right off the bat. Hmmmm. . . .

Edit: My apologies, the cheapest flight to Singapore for me is a bit over $1,000. Somehow I got it in my head that you had to go to Hong Kong to get the Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice.

5 Likes

I’m so trying this as I’ll be in Singapore for a week, next May.

11 Likes

It does look tasty!

2 Likes

It’s also nice to see a master chef break free of the restaurant hamster-wheel and do something fun.

4 Likes

A nice demonstration of good food not needing expensive ingredients.

3 Likes

Street food in SE Asia is really good, but Singapore is at the top of the heap (and probably the safest as well)

2 Likes

My friend from Singapore always complained that American food was way too expensive. I guess I have to give him that point now.

1 Like

That’s okay, you just have to eat Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice a few hundred times and the trip totally pays for itself!

But here’s my question: Michelin doesn’t only grade yumminess of food, do they? Don’t atmosphere and service get scored as well? Waiter, what wine would you suggest with Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice? Oh, the cellar is closed?

2 Likes

I just imagined that rickety floating Chinese restaurant boat guy kind of drifting up behind you and shouting “Wine for Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice? Got nice Zin inna paper cup, for you, $3!”

5 Likes

Another Dibbler…

5 Likes

Other countries have their own Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibblers, we see in the series. There’s a tibetan (well, discworld’s tibet equivalent) one named May-I-Never-Achieve-Enlightment Dhiblang who sells disreputable yak butter tea.

1 Like

Geez, you use one shady vendor reference and the word “inna” and you’re called out for a nod to CMOT Dibbler. Which it was, completely, but still. . . .

4 Likes

If the bun fits…

4 Likes

See all the stuff behind Mr. Meng? I WANT THEM.

Remember, the original definition was:

:star:️ Worth a stop
:star::star:️ Worth a detour
:star::star::star:️ Worth a trip

2 Likes

. . .a sausage of questionable ingredient composition most likely lies within.

1 Like

They do, but in context. This was their first ever award specifically for a hawker stall.

1 Like

Nor does it need pretentious surroundings. If I’m in the mood for Mexican food, the little no-frills taqueria in a strip mall is a much better deal than the fancy nationally-advertised chain.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.