Check out Count Olaf in this teaser for the Netflix's forthcoming Lemony Snicket series

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/04/check-out-count-olaf-in-this-t.html

4 Likes

meh

My favorite part of the Jim Carrey version was the animated closing credits sequence. (And no, that’s not meant as a dig at the filmmakers.)

7 Likes

Perhaps its not meant that way, but it IS telling when the most interesting part of a film is the closing credits.

I thought the movie was a snooze, personally; but then again the source material is severely lacking to begin with.

2 Likes

I found it competent but forgettable, but then I know I wasn’t really the key target demographic either.

I AM a big animation geek though.

3 Likes

While nothing will live up to the Tim Curry voiced audio books, I think this looks like a better Count Olaf than Jim Carrey. The Violet actress surprisingly has a similar vibe to the one in the earlier movie?

1 Like

Don’t you see? Don’t any of you see? That’s Dr Horrible in disguise!

8 Likes

Reminds me of my kindergarten teacher, she was horrible in every way imaginable.

I thought the books were great and found the Carrey film disappointing…

6 Likes

I liked the books at first… until it dawned on me that there was no actual character development, and the author was just basically recycling the exact same plot ad nauseum; not to mention that the adults shuffling the children from one unfit refuge to another seemed have been dumber than a box of rocks for falling for every single lame ploy that Count Olaf pulled out of his ass.

3 Likes

I loved the books. It’s true that the characters didn’t seem to go anywhere, but the end definitely went a bit sideways (in a good way). Also, some of the puns were very crafty. Catch the Pynchon one?

1 Like

But I think that’s part of what he’s doing with those books. The plot and lack of character development is sort of mocking books that used to be written that way, but doing so with a wink at the audience. I take it as a satire of Victorian childrens literature more than anything else. So, it’s kind of satire for kids of a whole genre of literature.

And the vocabulary of the books and the way he defines those big words for the reader (meaning the intended audience of kids) is pretty great.

3 Likes

I didn’t really get a satirical vibe from them, maybe there wasn’t enough ‘wink, wink nudge, nudge’ implemented for my personal tastes.

That was one of the few redeeming qualities I liked.

1 Like

to be fair, they were written for, you know, little kids.

2 Likes

To be fair, I was reading/collecting children’s novels while I was still pregnant, and stocking up for my daughter’s future library.

As someone who wanted to make sure that there was just as much sci-fi as there were fairytales, and some Ed Gorey to balance out all the inevitable Dora & Diego, I found the material lacking… especially considering how precocious and advanced children of the millennium seem to be, by comparison to previous generations.

3 Likes

yeah, i can see that. i guess i knew going in that it wasn’t going to be delicious like a gorey tale. but i found them hilarious and fun (if admittedly repetitive).

2 Likes

Maybe that was my issue; my expectations going in were too high.

2 Likes

The books do eventually get there (in terms of providing character development for the kids and Count Olaf … and nearly no one else) but it’s a hard slog, long series if you’re not enjoying them. I love them but when I went through them most recently, I ended up stopping well short of the ending because of reasons. :sweat:

I’m confused by some of the costuming in the trailer teaser.

3 Likes

I might like this. I wanted to like the film, but found Jim Carrey ruined it for me.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.