Check out the new DeLorean

Originally published at: Check out the new DeLorean | Boing Boing

5 Likes

100kWh battery. Theoretically it could sustain 1.21 gigawatt for about 0.3 seconds, should the need arise.

36 Likes

As much as I liked the original aesthetic, they may have been somewhat constrained by the fact that the basic aerodynamics and materials standards have changed significantly since the 1980s. Keeping the gull-winged doors was probably the best they could do. Although what I don’t understand is why they still don’t use the classic DMC logo in the front.

All that’s needed is a split second right as you hit 88MPH, so that works (as long as you have electricity to charge it: no problem in 1955, big problem in 1885).

8 Likes

Pretty sure you also need a specialized capacitor of some type, as a chemical battery can’t discharge all its energy instantaneously.

Fortunately those are readily available from your local auto parts store:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-500.html

14 Likes

There was a whole lot of unspoken assumptions rolled up in “theoretically”

8 Likes

[turns out pocketeses] …ooo a dime and a paperclip!

Pricing is expected to start at $150,000+ USD

5 Likes

After following elio motors for a couple years, (and also after those ev semis) my first question is whether this a real car that will really be produced.

Though since it started with a guy buying the company and doing parts/maintenance it feels more on the real side. Not that I have any skin in the game, my net worth only recently approached the msrp on of one of these.

4 Likes

Article omits the link to The Verge story: https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/30/23147339/delorean-alpha-5-first-look-gull-winged-ev-revival

This is just a render. No actual mechanical design has occurred.

7 Likes

Seems they’ve done some work. Maybe just a high-fidelity mockup?

DeLorean’s set to reveal the Alpha 5 in Pebble Beach on August 21st.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s a nice render. I’m sure some day it will be a real vehicle. Maybe.

1 Like

I have to point out that we’ve been promised an electric DeLorean for many, many years, and some attempts have gone further than computer renderings:

At this point I’ll believe that they’re getting built after they’re actually being delivered to customers and not a moment before.

7 Likes

Do they render a kilo of coke in the center console for extra realism?

5 Likes

100%. Plus those wheels and tires would be a nightmare at those proportions; no way could they be crammed into that front wheel well, and you’d damage those 20" rims on the daily.

1 Like

Can you even get white walls in that size?

4 Likes

Please be union made in North America. Please be union made in North America. Please be union made in North America. Don’t want to break my perfect record.

Oh, $150K. Record will not be broken.

2 Likes
7 Likes

It would be nice if it was a little more retro looking. A slightly different version of the OG one so it looks different - but still would be spotted as a DeLorean from a distance. More angles and stainless steel unpainted.

2 Likes

word everyone GIF

The Exorcist Wind GIF by filmeditor

5 Likes

tumblr_c7e27c6790d11dddc54020575f53d0df_6c6973eb_400

3 Likes